Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative to kapton tape.

Posted by Gaou 
Alternative to kapton tape.
December 12, 2015 11:11AM
I want to share my last update concernng the bed and the kapton tape. From the very begging i didn't like the kapton solution at all. First it was an expensive solution as you have to replace the kapton every few prints. Secondly i didn't like it because i did't have the ability to attach the capton well and i had bubbles of air or double kapton on some spots. So i deccided to replace my 3mm glass with a new one to see if it could kept the print the same way that kapton does. So i took a glass cut it to the desired dimensions sand it with a 220 sand paper and attach it on the printer . Then i took a piece of abs put some aceton on the table and made a "primer" from abs.

Quess what 3 prints now all seems very well. And futher than this the removing of the print from the table is far more easy than it was before ( after the bed reaches the room temp)

I am very glad that it worked and now i have plans to order some glasses from the local shop which be either sandblasted ( they had two grades of sandblast) or fluoridation glass ( it is like sandblasted but more elegant and thinner when you touch it ) to test if it works well .

Be well guys .
Pavlos
Re: Alternative to kapton tape.
December 12, 2015 01:44PM
Another good solution is PEI sheet glued to a glass plate with high temperature adhesive sheet. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for my experience with different bed surfaces.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 12, 2015 03:06PM
you have a nice blog there David with a lot of infos . i read about the pei and it looks promising the cost is an issue . have you tried abs on pei ?
December 12, 2015 04:23PM
Gaou
you have a nice blog there David with a lot of infos . i read about the pei and it looks promising the cost is an issue . have you tried abs on pei ?

Not yet. The fumes/particulates from ABS gave me a cough for 2 days last time I printed it, so I'm not going to try it again until I have a filtered enclosure.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login