Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Safety with Power Supply for Prusia i3

Posted by leeand00 
Safety with Power Supply for Prusia i3
December 31, 2015 09:46AM
I bought a S-400-24 WEHO power supply for a Prusia i3 rework printer I'm building. I also bought some GE electrical connectors and I was thinking of using the little red ones to connect a wall plug to it, but I thought I would ask about safety first.

I have a few questions regarding these things:

1. Am I using the right powersupply? - I'm using RAMPS v1.4 and an MK2a heated bed. I also read somewhere that you have to have the switch set to 115V, and that you have to "Verify that Diode D1 is not installed if using RAMPS. Damage to electronics may occur if diode D1 is present."
  2. I'm thinking about connecting the red spade terminals to the S-400-24 WEHO power supply, which the back of the electrical connector package says are good for AWG 22-16 wires (which I'm hoping are the same kind that are in a computer power cable when you cut the end off and plug it into the wall outlet) But I thought I'd verify that here first. Of course I plan to attach the USA wall socket into the ground, N and L AC input on the back of the S-400-24 WEHO power supply.

I also don't really understand how the spade connectors are connected to the wires in the computer cable. Does it have something to do with heat shrinking?

Thank you,
leeand00
Re: Safety with Power Supply for Prusia i3
January 01, 2016 07:04PM
You need to set the power supply switch to the voltage of your country, if that’s 120, then 115 is close enough

Yes with a 24volt supply you need to remove D1, the standard mega can only take 12v. This will mean that you need to power the mega some other way.
Eg via usb or or via a power supply into the dc power jack.. You also need to check a few other things if you want to run 24v, make sure the caps under the pololu modules are rated over 24v (some are 16v) . Also check the polyfuses, standard 11amp polyfuse is only rated to 16v.

Isn’t the MK2a heated bed only 12v? I think it is... please check, it should have 3 connectors and a table on it to tell you how to hook up 24v if supported (like the MK2B image

All your parts will need to be 24v compatible. Fans, heated bed, hot end. The pololus and steppers are fine.

Spade connectors are crimped onto raw copper cables (mechanically squashed)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 07:12PM by Dust.
Re: Safety with Power Supply for Prusia i3
January 19, 2016 06:44PM
If in doubt have you considered leaving everything on 12v but using the bed heater output to switch a mechanical relay to power your bed? You'd need to disable pid control and use bang bang but for a heatbed this is usually fine. You'll need 2 power supplies, but this ensures no shortage of current and takes the pressure off your 11A solid state fuse, consider installing an automotive type fuse in series with the 24v to the bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login