Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idea for a fire safety system.

Posted by DW77 
Idea for a fire safety system.
January 05, 2016 11:19PM
So, I was discussing my new printer with a friend and the question got asked "What do you do if there is a fire?" I just responded that I'd have to watch it and have a fire extinguisher ready; but it got me thinking: "Can I automate the fire control job?" and here are my thoughts on the matter:
needed materials:
  1. A fire resistant enclosure
  2. A Raspberry Pi
  3. A smoke detector module like: http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-Smoke-Sensor-Module-ARD0555/dp/B00NPZ5JAI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452019287&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=raspberry+pi+smoke+detection
  4. A Relay board
  5. A Solenoid valve for a CO2 fire Extinguisher
  6. A CO2 Fire Extinguisher
  7. Miscellaneous wires, circuit boards, resistors, transistors, etc
So the Idea is as follows:
If a fire were to break out inside fire the enclosure it would contain it long enough for the smoke detector to detect the smoke from the fire, this would send a signal to the Raspberry Pi. The Pi from there would recognize the input and trigger the relay cutting off power to the Printer, at the same time or shortly there after the Pi would open the solenoid which would then release the CO2 fire extinguisher's contents into the closed space of the enclosure. I recognize that this isn't perfect by any means. it would have to be carefully designed and there are multiple failure points even then. I would love to have some feedback on my thoughts, at the moment they are just the casual ramblings of a 20 something on his day off from work, largely because I am bored; but I would love to see what improvements people can make on this concept. Who knows, I might actually build something like this someday when I have both the time and the money to do so.
Re: Idea for a fire safety system.
January 10, 2016 06:45AM
What happens if the power goes out, most likely in a fire.

Why dont you but something like this:
[www.fireprotectiononline.co.uk]

Im planning to add one to my printer, im building a encloser with plasterboard, 25mm of this material can stop the fire for 60minutes.
June 10, 2019 10:45PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2019 08:19AM by MARKYU.
May 26, 2020 03:38PM
I have a smoke detector where my printer is located. The room also has a fire extinguisher. You can never be too careful when it comes to this kind of stuff,
November 17, 2020 05:32AM
Your ideas are great! Thanks for sharing this one.

Regards,
Ask The Dutch Guy
https://askthedutchguy.com/
November 17, 2020 01:27PM
I take a basic approach - I only run my printer(s) when I am nearby, usually when I'm in the same room and never more than 1 room away.
November 17, 2020 03:16PM
That's OK if your prints only take an hour or so. But if you want/start to run 30-40 hour prints, are you planning to babysit the printer?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 18, 2020 01:23PM
Sorry, I was being a bit flippant.

I never do that sort of printing... but I do understand why people would, and why they might to leave them unattended. I would be unhappy to run mine inside the house if I needed to leave it to its own devices, and would probably leave it in the garage.

A fire/smoke sensor over the printer would seem to be a minimum requirement.
February 04, 2021 07:25PM
Adding to your list, you should try Smart Socket from Walmart under Merkury brand and cost $10. Merkury sells Smart sockets, Smart bulbs, and Security cameras and it use Geeni phone app so you can control Smart socket, Bulbs and security cameras. I have Smart socket and IP Outdoor PZT Security camera (chinese brand). I can watch via IP Cam app while I am at work, whenever printer done its job or workpieces get f#@ked up, I shut it off remotely with Geeni app. Very convenience!!! I put printer in my garage on workbench.

You might want to double check Bed temp sensor to be sure it's secure with something holding it. I have in back of my mind that my hotbed temp sensor is "poorly" secured with tape (Chinese made Tronxy 802D) which is cause of my concern due to fire risk. It don't have Thermal Runaway protection at all. I would look into better options for thermal sensor placement and proper securely under bed not with tape.

[www.walmart.com]
February 04, 2021 07:35PM
I babysat my printer remotely while I'm at work.( I'm a maintenace and have lot of free time waiting for calls, spent plenty of time in breakrooms sitting and checking out phone or watch TV shows spinning smiley sticking its tongue out ).. I have IP PZT outdoor camera clamped on small drillpress head and Merkury Smart socket so whenver I see anything wrong with printer, I shut power off remotely with Geeni app on phone. I did have printer run 13 hours straight without having me babysitting nearby, was at work that time. Got home and sat to watch final part for 1 hour then shut off when it's done.

IF there were printer fire in garage, I would call 911 and have them head over my house to douse the fire eye popping smiley
May 03, 2021 11:10PM
Great! Thanks for sharing this. I find this really helpful.

Badassrentals | [badassrentals.nl]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login