Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

brass nuts and nozzle

Posted by newprinter 
brass nuts and nozzle
March 06, 2017 01:29PM
Hi all,
I am new to 3D printing and I recently bought a Geeetech prusa I3 clone.
Like in many other printers the nozzle and the leadscrew nuts are made of brass, which most likely contains some percentage of lead.
I was wondering if there's any health risk due to the brass surface's leaching lead?

thanks

np

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 07:37AM by newprinter.
Re: brass nuts and nozzle
March 06, 2017 04:24PM
Don't put them in your mouth and you'll be fine.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 10, 2017 05:14AM
Hi thanks for your reply.
Well sure about not putting them in my mouth, but I was wondering what the risks were for example in the following cases:

- if kids handle 3d-printed objects and bring them to their mouth. PLA is pretty safe itself, but will the nozzle leak enough lead to make it dangerous?
- if kids touch the brass parts and then bring their hands to their mouths or eat?

I am not planning to have kids around when I 3d print, but should I go to the lengths of making sure they never approach the printer even when it's off?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 05:14AM by newprinter.
March 10, 2017 11:54AM
I wouldn't worry about it. If you are you can always buy a steel nozzle.

I'd worry a lot more about kids getting their fingers pinched or burned. And if you have a dual motor z axis (a serious design flaw), I'd worry about kids turning one of the z screws and messing up alignment of the X and Z axes. If those axes aren't square you can't make accurate prints.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 25, 2017 11:26AM
My printer has dual z steppers, and it does get tiresome having to measure the gantry height on each side and square it off every time. Is there an improvement I can do that will make it stay square?
March 25, 2017 06:31PM
Two current and two future solutions. The current solutions are:

1. Use one motor and a belt to drive both Z screws.

2. Use a separate driver and homing switch for each motor. Several firmwares support this.

And the future solutions:

3. RepRapFirmware​ on Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet will soon reposition the motors when power down begins so that the motors are less likely to jump to different positions at power up.

4. Also coming to RRF is true bed levelling using the Z probe, to drive the Z motors independently to level the bed.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login