Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PSU wattage not counting heated bed?

Posted by orea 
PSU wattage not counting heated bed?
March 06, 2018 03:47PM
I plan to build a larger (400x400x600 or so) coreXY and will have the bed as AC as it makes sense for large formats.

How much of a PSU should I count for the remaining electronics if using 24v?
I'm a bit restrained by budget so would like to avoid the beefiest versions while keeping with safe brands.

I have a nice 12V HP server PSU, but am under the impression 24V would be better for fast motion and general wiring safety (I could be wrong)
My Wanhao D6 (24V) draws 50W of 220V when printing without heated bed on.

Any opinion?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 03:54PM by orea.
Re: PSU wattage not counting heated bed?
March 06, 2018 04:01PM
There is a guide to total power consumption of printers using Duet electronics at [duet3d.dozuki.com]. For other electronics you would need to substitute the actual power consumption of that electronics, displays and other accessories.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 06, 2018 06:11PM
Thanks for the link, good information. I'll make a sum of it and round up a bit.
With some luck it should be possible to find a fairly silence supply once the bed is out of the equation.
Will post back with readings when it's some day done building.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2018 06:24PM by orea.
April 09, 2018 04:43PM
Just to add a little, when doing wattage calculations I get my total, add 20% and then round up from there to the next PSU size in the list.

You can never have too much wattage, but it sux when you don't have not enough!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login