Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Burned RAMPS power connector

Posted by tampe125 
Burned RAMPS power connector
July 06, 2018 10:32AM
Hello,

today I was doing some maintenance on my 3D printer, while disconnecting the power supply to the RAMPS module I saw that a pin was completed burned (see attached picture).
Frankly, that's quite upsetting!
I built my 3D printer following Tom's guide on Dolly (Prusa MK2 clone) and I never had any issue with it. Sometimes I had some thermal runaway errors, but they were false positives (particle fan on bed temperature sensor).
Lately I had the board shutdown when it's too hot: I got no errors, simply it stopped moving and heating, then the thermal protection kicks in. I added a PC fan next to electronics and it solved the issue.

I know RAMPS aren't the best available board, but I just wanted to know if that's something that happens from time to time or I did something wrong.
Any ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20180706_161613490.jpg (766.2 KB)
VDX
Re: Burned RAMPS power connector
July 06, 2018 11:01AM
... this is common for drawing more current, than the connectors are designd for -- or bad coating/oxidizing eye rolling smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org]
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 07, 2018 11:51AM
Could it be an undersized wire?
I was thinking on switching on bigger ones
VDX
July 07, 2018 03:40PM
... this was not the wire but the connector pins! - you'll need a connector, designed for more current ... or reduce the drawn current to a "safe" level ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org]
Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login