Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enclosure door safety

Posted by SPS3D 
Enclosure door safety
April 18, 2019 04:32AM
Hi everyone,
I’m currently working on a printer that prints glue along a given path. For this I am using Ramps 1.4 and an Arduino Mega with the Marlin firmware.
This is my first time working with Marlin or 3D printer firmware in general. So forgive me if I'm missing something obvious.
For the last few days I have been trying to figure out how to get the printer to stop printing when a switch gets triggered. Unfortunately I have found no way to get this to work.

I have tried the following:

• - Using an available endstop connection with "ABORT_ON_ENDSTOP_HIT_FEATURE_ENABLED".
    • This resulted in the printer aborting the current command and starting the next move. ("M540, Endstops Abort SD / M120, Endstops enabled" are enabled aswell)

• - Using the FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR feature to detect the door opening and sending a configured G-code to the controller.
    • This resulted in the printer not responding at all. Command to park the head is blocked by full queue.

• - FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR with G-code command "M600, Filament change" configured.
    • Same result as noted above.

• - FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR with G-code command "M410, Quickstop" configured. EMERGENCY_PARSER was enabled aswell.
    • This resulted in the M410 command being added to the top of the queue, but it gets ignored by the controller.

• - Sending M410 to an available serial port on the controller.
    • This resulted in the controller still ignoring the command. Though when using Pronterface to send the command it picks it up and stops the printer completely.

So far none of these have worked. And I'm hoping the community can help me with this.
    Do you guys have any ideas to get this working? or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance,

SPS3D
VDX
Re: Enclosure door safety
April 18, 2019 05:49AM
... I'm stopping the printer midway per software with the "M112" emergency stop - but could be done too by continuously checking for a pin ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
April 18, 2019 05:57AM
VDX
... I'm stopping the printer midway per software with the "M112" emergency stop - but could be done too by continuously checking for a pin ...

Sending M112 from a computer works fine, But I'm planning on making the printer independent, and using FILAMENT_RUNOUT_SENSOR to send M112 to the controller doesn't work either unfortunately.

Continiously checking for a pin sounds like it should be able to work! Though I do not know how to implement this. How can i do that?
April 18, 2019 06:14AM
If you just want it to stop, ending the job. connect the door switch to reset and gnd line with the switch set to connect when opened

If you want to continue.... depends

are you "printing" from SD card or over USB or both?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 06:15AM by Dust.
April 18, 2019 06:48AM
Dust
If you just want it to stop, ending the job. connect the door switch to reset and gnd line with the switch set to connect when opened

If you want to continue.... depends

are you "printing" from SD card or over USB or both?

I do want it to stop, but only when it's busy "printing" so that when someone opens the door when the printer is busy, It'll stop. But when it's in it's resting position nothing will happen.

I'm just printing from an SD card.
April 18, 2019 07:07AM
have you tried a M25 from the runout sensor?
April 18, 2019 07:38AM
Dust
have you tried a M25 from the runout sensor?

I have not yet tried that no, Ill try it right away. But I'm expecting it to be blocked by a full queue aswell. The programmed movements are quite long lineair movements. So if the M25 gets placed last in queue it will take a while before it'll reach that command.

EDIT: I have tried it and unfortunately to no result. printing continues and no pause is executed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2019 09:24AM by SPS3D.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login