Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Am I being over-cautious? (I don't think so...)

Posted by David J 
Am I being over-cautious? (I don't think so...)
October 08, 2022 08:20AM
If you look at the Thingiverse home page you will see the following 'thing' at the number 1 spot.

Filament joiner

This gadget works by the user pushing the 2 filament ends into a length of PTFE tube, then heating that tube with a flame. Now many here will know that PTFE tube will start to give off extremely poisonous fumes at temperatures about 200C - and the higher you go the worse it gets - and you have to get to somewhere around that temperature to weld PLA (higher with other materials). It is not possible to control how hot that tubing will get with a naked flame.

I raised this issue in the comments (as have quite a few others) but all negative comments have either been drowned out or deleted. I have also reported the issue to Thingiverse, but have had no response. Quite a few thousand people think it's a wonderful design...

Am I in the wrong or is this a disaster waiting to happen?
Re: Am I being over-cautious? (I don't think so...)
October 08, 2022 08:37AM
[www.theplasticshop.co.uk]

3.1 The primary hazard associated with these polymers is the inhalation of fumes from overheating or
burning Heating PTFE above 300 degrees C may liberate a fine particulate fume
October 08, 2022 10:39AM
I have read in various places that PTFE tube will start to give off these gases at around 205C. It just gets much worse at 300C.
VDX
October 08, 2022 11:42AM
... if you have some birds in the same room - they will quit around 200degC ... humans are much more resistant smoking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
October 13, 2022 07:59AM
Looks like this item has been de-listed, thankfully.

The link above still works, but it no longer comes up in the Thingiverse 'most popular' listings (it was top), nor does it appear in searches.

I hate to put down other people's designs, but that was just dangerous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2022 12:41PM by David J.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login