Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x and y calibration issue

Posted by DjDemonD 
x and y calibration issue
April 10, 2016 05:35PM
On my SmartrapCore Alu I am getting 20.07mm along one side and 19.50mm on the other side of a 20mm cube. I have tried altering the belt tension on one side then tried the other way around but the difference between x and y stays the same.

Should I be looking to change my x steps/mm relative to y?

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Re: x and y calibration issue
April 11, 2016 09:02AM
So I tried that and predictably got a parallelogram not a cube.

Back to the belt tension I suppose. The odd thing is it was printing both sides reasonably close (within 0.05mm) before I changed to from 20t to 16t pulleys to see if it improved the resolution.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
April 11, 2016 12:21PM
Have you checked for orthogonality of the axes? If X and Y aren't orthogonal it will print rhomboids instead of rectangles/squares.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 11, 2016 12:22PM
Maybe your new pulleys are not round?
April 11, 2016 12:37PM
Yes the axes are orthogonal. It was printing perfectly cuboid cubes prior to the pulley changes. I will check the pulleys carefully.

Simon Khoury

April 13, 2016 07:04AM
DjDemonD

Back to the belt tension I suppose. The odd thing is it was printing both sides reasonably close (within 0.05mm) before I changed to from 20t to 16t pulleys to see if it improved the resolution.

Did changing the pulleys affect the resolution ?
April 13, 2016 08:40AM
When you changed the pulley size, did the belt relationship to the rails change? See: [defcon.no]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 13, 2016 09:23AM
Holy1
DjDemonD

Did changing the pulleys affect the resolution ?

Hard to tell, since if I am honest I was not unhappy with it before - but at first glance it seemed like such a simple mod, then why not try it.

I think the asymmetry was related to one of the y-smooth rods being 2mm higher at one end due to the way they are mounted, and the fact that I've revised that part to try to minimise resonance (it is a motor mount and smooth rod holder combined), This resulted in the x axis being tilted and it was approx. 2mm further away from the frame on the right than the left. I have fixed this now so the digital dentist got it right it was non-orthogonal axes.

It might change the belt geometry by a small amount but this is mirrored on the other belt, so the effect should be equal on both sides of the cube. However Im now using 101 steps/mm on x and y to achieve a 20mm x 20mm cube.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2016 11:07AM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login