Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large part cooling fan at chamber corner

Posted by Ernest1122 
Large part cooling fan at chamber corner
March 14, 2019 12:53AM
If the space is not a problem, would you recommend putting a large all-metal cooling fan (10cm or 12cm) at the upper corner of the chamber?

- no extra weight, volume and motor vibration added to the extruder.
- no air tube (bound with wires) goes from top into the carriage.
- keep warm air inside the chamber, not introduce air from outside.
- the air flow should be strong enough but not that even across the whole bed.

style A: blow directly to the bed

style B: blow to the chamber wall and expect the air cycling in the chamber

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 01:08AM by Ernest1122.
Re: Large part cooling fan at chamber corner
March 14, 2019 02:42AM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? This is actually something I've thought about for the purpose of having a uniform chamber temperature. However, your title states it's for cooling. If it truly is for cooling, it won't do anything.
March 14, 2019 02:50AM
Pardon me for not explain clearly. after the filament is extruded it had better to be cooled asap. i try to replace the small fan + conduct attached at the extruder with a large fan, for the above reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 02:50AM by Ernest1122.
March 14, 2019 05:43AM
The part doesn't need to be cooled. The fresh filament is what needs the cooling. That's specifically why the part cooling fan is located on the extruder assembly. The idea is to only cool the freshly deposited filament, and only enough to convert from a liquid to a solid. A larger remote mounted fan isn't going to do anything except maybe mess with your bed temps.
March 14, 2019 07:45AM
boredom.is.me
The part doesn't need to be cooled. The fresh filament is what needs the cooling. That's specifically why the part cooling fan is located on the extruder assembly. The idea is to only cool the freshly deposited filament, and only enough to convert from a liquid to a solid. A larger remote mounted fan isn't going to do anything except maybe mess with your bed temps.

I understand fresh filament cooling and the possible problem of uneven bed temperature.

My active chamber heater and bed heater will be both AC powered. I am trying to replace plan A shown below (the usual way many ppl cooling fresh filament) with plan B (a large remote fan) because when i was having no filament fan attached to my extruder, i placed a 17" fan with slow air flow about a half meter away from the printer and the print quality became excellent. Since the bed heater is AC powered and enclosed in the chamber, just a guess it affects minor to the bed and will help warm up the chamber.

but since the cold air will stay at bottom of the chamber, plan C might be better. Any thought?

plan A
4cm fan + conduct attached to the extruder for filament cooling
12cm fan attached at the back of PTC heater for chamber heating

plan B
12cm fan is placed at the upper corner acting as chamber air mixer.
expect the cycling air is enough for filament cooling.
PTC chamber heater is placed at a distance.

plan C
a remote 12cm blower is placed at the corner
another 12cm fan + PTC chamber heater are placed at bottom of the chamber.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2019 07:48AM by Ernest1122.
March 14, 2019 09:17AM
We used to put a desk fan next to a Taz printer (no print cooling fan) at the makerspace and it worked fine for printing PLA, but do you really want to print PLA?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 14, 2019 09:33AM
the_digital_dentist
We used to put a desk fan next to a Taz printer (no print cooling fan) at the makerspace and it worked fine for printing PLA, but do you really want to print PLA?

I'll try as many materials as possible. smiling smiley
March 14, 2019 09:58AM
The bed heater will warm the air at the top of the enclosure. Warm air rises through convection, so I would (and did) put the chamber heater at the bottom of the printer.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login