Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uneven Layer lines Hypercube Evolution

Posted by AmyTheBun 
Uneven Layer lines Hypercube Evolution
September 03, 2019 06:13AM
So. I used to have an Anycubic i3 Mega-S and a week or two ago I converted it into a Hypercube Evolution.

And no matter what I tried I keep having uneven layer lines.
Here are some pictures of the issue. the good one is my old Anycubic that is now nothing but ashes! The bad one is my Hypercube evolution.
Here's an image here in case you don't wanna use the link:

My suspicions so far are the belts, First of all, They're not steel core PU belts. they're just cheap generic ones.
My second suspicion isthe idlers and the overall alignment, When my motors are moving I can see the distance between the belts on the back getting further and closer, As if it's going up and down slowly. I also feel like as the motors change direction, the belt gets pulled/pushed as in it moves in the Y axis in the back slightly. When I move the Y axis back and forth I can see it happening.

The threaded rods+couplings are from my Anycubic which printed really well as you can see. so I doubt that's the cause. Although In my Ancyubic they were installed with some space between the shaft and the rod to have springinessbut on the Hypercube I pushed the shaft all the way down because of my heavy Z axis. without doing that I'd get patterned artifacts on the z axis.

I Also noticed the Y carriage toothed idler is able to freely move up and down and tilt a little. so I put washers under it. it did improve my results (what you see now is with it there) but it also made a horrible noise at high speeds. right now i'm using 3d printed washers in place which solved the noise (smaller outside diameter).

I've tried both Marlin and Klipper with not much of a difference in terms of print quality, Although Klipper is much smoother, Eitherway I'm getting a 32-bit board soon (SKR V1.3. It's on it's way!).

I tried increasing/decreasing the belt tension too. it doesn't change anything.

I've been really getting exhausted over this issue. I don't know what else I can do.

My print settings:
1.5mm retractions (4mm without linear advance)
60mm external perimeters 30mm/s inside and 80mm/s infill and 150mm/s travel.
0.3 linear advance
1500mm/s^2 acceleration.

so far most of these are the same as my anycubic. I haven't bothered with more acceleration/speed until I can solve the issue. OFC I did calibrate the extrusion rate and retractions and e-steps again to confirm it's working well.

the extruder is the same one from my Anycubic. a titan clone. I have a BMG extruder on it's way. It'll arrive in 2-3 weeks.
The hotend is the same clone, Expect I changed the PTFE heatbreak to a 3DPassion Titanium heatbreak (really well polished. the insides are REALLY shiny) when installing it on my Hypercube!
I did 3d print an extruder but it had the same results as the titan. although it worked horribly but I got it working enough for half a benchy to see if the extruder is the issue.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2019 07:44AM by AmyTheBun.
Re: Uneven Layer lines Hypercube Evolution
September 03, 2019 09:10AM
How about posting a few pictures of the printer?

Examine the prints closely. Look at one of the layers that bulges- follow that layer all around the print- is it bulging on all sides of the print or does it look like it's shifted slightly?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
September 03, 2019 10:08AM
the_digital_dentist
How about posting a few pictures of the printer?

Examine the prints closely. Look at one of the layers that bulges- follow that layer all around the print- is it bulging on all sides of the print or does it look like it's shifted slightly?

Thanks for the reply!

It's really hard to tell honestly. I think it slowly fades off on one side? like it's poking out slightly and slowly near the other end dissapears? usually only the last 1cm~ is where it fades
what i noticed is that the unevenness is mostly in "groups" like there are at laest 3-5 layers perfect to the previous layer. but the the next are different to the previous? tho there are a few single layer defects all around the print too.

but looking at the side of my benchy with the tip pointing right i do see a lot of layers poking out and a few that are relatively not.
September 03, 2019 10:12AM
[photos.app.goo.gl] printer pictures! I almost forgot!
September 04, 2019 12:07AM
My guess:

- Too hot (The 'x' looks pretty melted at the tips)
- over extrusion (Little bit of blobbing going on)
- bad (loose) bearing(s) (The different fluctuating thicknesses of each layer)

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
September 04, 2019 01:07AM
Mogal
My guess:

now that you mention that. when I print a flow rate calibration test (flow rate test. a cube in vase mode) some sides are 0.8 and some are 0.9
September 04, 2019 01:10AM
Mogal
My guess:

When I print a flow rate calibration test (flow rate test. a cube in vase mode) Some sides are 0.8 and some are 0.9. I thought I mention that! could be some extrusion issue? it's hard to explain!

i'll reduce my temps and extrusion rate. but like I checked my bearings already. my shafts do bend (the actual shafts alone don't bend? i'm confused what's bending since my Y carriage looks like it's not bending. but i'll print a better version in PETG and see what happens evne tho it's more flexible than abs
September 11, 2019 04:54PM
UPDATE: issue appearntly solved for now by grounding the frame
September 24, 2019 07:36AM
Update: the issue was actually my heated bed not the frame. i upgraded to an aluminium one instead of a PCB one
April 21, 2020 08:54AM
I have the same issue with my anycubic i3 mega, i checked the belts but i still have random lines on side of the prints. Can someone help me?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login