Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corexy Belt/ Pulley Noise

Posted by CVRIV 
Corexy Belt/ Pulley Noise
February 11, 2021 10:15PM
Hello everyone.

I designed and built a Corexy printer and its nearly complete. I have it all belted up and noticed some belt movement that has the belt teeth rubbing the pulley guides when I move the gantry or extruder carriage assembly by hand. I spent a lot of time to make sure that the belt system was aligned/ leveled so this is a bit disturbing to me.

I uploaded a video of what's happening. It appears that it's happening only with the rear pulleys. The belts for each side move away from each other when I move the gantry in one direction and then move towards each other when i move the gantry in the other direction. The same thing happens when I move the extruder carriage. It basically happens when the belts are moved. I dont understand this.

[youtu.be]
Re: Corexy Belt/ Pulley Noise
February 11, 2021 10:59PM
I see two possibilities- if the pulleys' axle is not vertical the belt teeth will hit the pulley teeth at an angle. Do the parts of the mechanism flex under belt tension? Or maybe this pulley is vertically offset from the pulley it connects to via the belt. That would cause the belt to ride the flanges and have the angled tooth strike.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 12, 2021 12:19AM
I dont think the pulley axles are not verticaly true. If anything maybe the pulleys at the end of the gantry have an offset. I'll check it again but I'm nearly certain all the pulleys are leveled. I have missed things before, maybe there's something else I'm missing.
February 12, 2021 03:17AM
So I have a theory. I'll post pics later when I get home fron work. The z axis of the machine has a lead screw in each corner. I think that maybe each corner might be slightly offset from each other. I have to make sure the z axis is tuned.
February 15, 2021 09:45PM
Fixed the noise by tapering the pulleys. Works amazing well.

[youtu.be]
February 16, 2021 06:45AM
What does "tapering" the pulleys mean?

The zippy noise comes from belt teeth hitting pulleys. If you twist the belt so the smooth back sides of the belts touche the pulleys, most of the noise will go away- the remainder will be from the drive pulleys.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 20, 2021 03:36PM
Glad to hear your problem is fixed. But the way your pulleys are stacked it is impossible that the beltpath are perpendicular.
February 21, 2021 02:58AM
I'll second what gforce1 said. Your belt paths are not straight. You'll have varying tension through the travel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login