Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use of 3D printed parts in printer

Posted by flydeprutten 
Use of 3D printed parts in printer
April 24, 2021 08:38AM
Hi there.

I have a question regarding the use of 3d printed parts in my printer.

Since I first built it, a lot has been changed on my printer along the way. One of the things that has been redone is my hotend mount. In its current form, it is heavily inspired by RailCoreII, but since I would like to try a new extruder, I had to make some changes to my hotend mount. I came to think about how rigid such a plastic part is at all, and whether it's just generally a bad idea to use 3d printed parts in a 3d printer.

I print my parts in normal polycarbonate, so temperature should not be an issue and I like to be able to quickly bring my ideas to life when I want to change something. But is that a bad idea?

I have added a picture of my hotend mount. It's only the first version, and I plan to change it so that the belts are fixed above and below the rail, instead of just above. In addition, I will also use 9mm belts instead of 6mm. They just have not arrived yet.

Re: Use of 3D printed parts in printer
April 24, 2021 04:02PM
Plastic, except PLA, is fine as long as you design the parts like they are made of plastic, not steel. Your picture looks like you've got it figured out.
If you want to use metal but don't have a lot of tools, you can do a lot with rectangular aluminum tubing or L or C channel stock.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login