Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TronXY X5SA 330x330 bed thicker? Impossible to tram with 6 set screws!

Posted by dlc60 
TronXY X5SA 330x330 bed thicker? Impossible to tram with 6 set screws!
November 20, 2023 10:19PM
Hey all,

I still use the TronXY firmware on my X5SA 330x330 CoreXY. I have NEVER been able to tram that bed with 6 set screws. So, I pulled half of them off to be able to get a real plane instead of a Ruffles potato chip surface.

Well, THAT didn't work well. When heated the 3mm bed warps up .3mm in the center compared to any of the tram screw locations. OK, so that explains the two middle set screws in an otherwise 4 adjustment bed; they are there to pull the middle down!

However, that still doesn't work very well - I am not ready to pull the controller and put a RepRrap controller on it, ditch the nifty touchscreen and all.
Yet.
So, how thick will I need to make this bed to keep it flat? Shockingly, my 3mm glass top for the bed deals with this warp without breaking.

Am I going to need to find a 330x330x6mm heat bed to get this to some reasonably controllable surface? I like having the large build volume, but I can rarely get a decent build from it. I realize that I am going down the "Cost Sunk" fallacy road here and I should just sell d*** thing for parts, but I'm stubborn and think that there HAS to be a way to make this a decent machine!

be well,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Re: TronXY X5SA 330x330 bed thicker? Impossible to tram with 6 set screws!
November 21, 2023 06:40PM
What is the Tronxy bed made of? Does the X axis sag or is the bed warping upward?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2023 06:41PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Re: TronXY X5SA 330x330 bed thicker? Impossible to tram with 6 set screws!
November 22, 2023 01:26PM
the_digital_dentist
What is the Tronxy bed made of? Does the X axis sag or is the bed warping upward?

Hi,

It is warping upward. I trammed each of the set screw points with a 0.1mm feeler gauge when the bed was at 60C and the hotend at 200C.
The bed rises more-or-less linearly to a peak of 0.3mm above the screw set points.

The bed of this is a typical 3mm aluminum plate. I pulled half of the set screws so that I have a three point setting. Epic fail.

I have had to constantly fiddle with trying to tram this plate with six (!) set screws, three in the front and three in the back. I now know what the center screws were for!
I don't think that even a BLtouch would work with that large of a delta in the heights. It seems the only path forward is a plate thick enough that a 330x330 area won't warp so much.

be well,

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login