Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on printer sizing and makerslide

Posted by rocketwiz 
Advice on printer sizing and makerslide
February 19, 2015 08:25PM
I've got some makerslide which I originally bought to build a delta but now thinking of a corexy for my next build (seeing as I can easily encase it with acrylic panels!).

I plan to use the makerslide for the 3 axis rails and normal 2020 for the rest of the frame.

Planned build area is 300x300 mm and maybe 200mm height. Could I get way with a frame size of say 400 or should I allow 450mm? Also would makerslide be suitable for the gantries given the additional weight over 2020?
Re: Advice on printer sizing and makerslide
February 22, 2015 04:08AM
Your probably not going to get many responses about the frame size since that will ultimately depend on your design and requirements. To get the full 300x300 print area, you are going to need to calculate the dimensions of the x-carriage (including hotend fittings/fans etc), dimensions of the gantry ends, clearances etc etc etc.
February 22, 2015 09:57AM
Fair enough.

What about the suitability of makerslide for the gantries?
February 22, 2015 01:47PM
Well it's a 40x20mm profile it's stiffer verticaly than horizontaly (I mean the 40mm along the vertical axis). Anyway, as far the print head assembly is light, it will be ok in any direction. 300x300 print size is not too long for the makerslide profiles. I guess your longer rails will be around 380-400mm. Note, on the shapeoko, the gantry uses two rails side by side to carry the router with no flex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 01:48PM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 22, 2015 06:44PM
Thanks. The shapeoko presumably needs a much stiffer gantry to counteract twisting and upward forces from the rotating bit so I guess I should be ok with a single extrusion. 400mm just fits in the space I'm thinking of so time to start putting the design together smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 06:44PM by rocketwiz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login