Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

endstops for corexy? physical or firmware based?

Posted by pushthatbolder 
March 11, 2015 04:43AM

can someone show me how to implement endstops.?
where they are located, or need to be located.

i have micro-switches i would like to use, and can't see where others have placed them.

i have a feeling that they are firmware based, but dont know how the firmware knows were the location of the gantry is.
Re: endstops for corexy? physical or firmware based?
March 11, 2015 05:41AM
It can't know. Machine's origin can only be physical. Firmware estimated position just don't work. If for any reason your machine stops anywhere, or shifts up, you can dammage components. Only physical origins allows repetability, first time, anytime.

Endstops must be installed on a stiff surface, in front of a stiff contact surface. If there's some play, you won't be able to measure position properly. Endstops are commonly positioned at a end, or both ends of an axis travel. Just install it anywhere on the way, and be sure any moving part of the gantry will turn the switch on. The machine's origin are commonly installed on the lower value of the travel, zero or minus something, and is wired on the "min" connectors of your control board. (4ex. Xmin, for x axis). The endstops are installed at the maximal travel of the axis, and is wired on the "max" connectors of the control board. (4ex. Ymax for y axis). Please note a fine tuning screw mounted on the contact surface allows to set origins precisely. Even if the firmware allows a software shift, it's better to be able tu tune it physicaly, especialy for the Z axis, where the height of the first layer is crucial for a good print.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 15, 2015 01:11AM
Can some people show me how they placed the endstops. Id like to see how different people placed them.
March 15, 2015 07:33PM
Attached photos shows where my endstops are. Micro switches on X/Y and hall effect on Z. Currently they are all at MIN positions.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5498.jpg (203.9 KB)
open | download - IMG_5466.jpg (93.2 KB)
March 15, 2015 10:00PM

x min max - std reprap endstop pcbs mounted on the back of the printing head.
y max on view - microswitch taken off the pcb and fitted into a screwed on plastic thing on the channel. I kept the pcb because I like to see the LED
y min the same but tucked under a belt. Can't see it from here.

z min just clamped to linear guide. Would be much improved with a fine tuning screw. (Next job!)

-a
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login