Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Controlled CoreXY - latest Firmware and Install Proceedure?

Posted by patrickrio 
Re: Duet Controlled CoreXY - latest Firmware and Install Proceedure?
August 03, 2015 05:36PM
Thanks for running those tests. I think I've identified the problem. Not sure if I can get a fix done tonight as it's quite late here, but if not then I'll do one tomorrow. What time zone are you in?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 03, 2015 05:38PM
As I am thinking about this problem, I need to confirm some stuff with you:

First, I need to define Origin: the point with numerical coordinates of X,Y,Z = 0,0,0. Head Position as shown in the upper right corner of DuetWebControl is relative to Origin.

When the printer is turned on, Origin is set at the initial position of the head and the printer will not print until all 3 Homing events have occurred in any order so that Origin can be moved to the UPPER, RIGHT, FRONT corner of the build volume.

I assume there is a G command to set origin at the initial position, or it just automatically happens.

THE ERROR IN MY MACHINE IS HAPPENING IN STEP 3 BELOW for both Y and X coordinates. Please note that step 2 does not seem to be provided for in the homing routines....Might be important.

X axis Homing, Low Switch (switch at left):

1. Carriage moves left (negative X) at moderate speed until it hits switch and stops, reverses a bit (Positive X) and returns to switch at slow speed(Negative X) until it hits the switch and stops more accurately at endstop point.

2. If switch might be damaged by Y or Z movement (if switch and contact point rub with Y and/or Z axis movement) X carriage reverses (Positive X) until damage to switch cannot happen.

3. X coordinate of Origin changes to 0 or current X coordinate. Y and Z Origin values remain unchanged.

4. X Homing is completed and Shown as having occurred for purpose of print approval.

X axis Homing, High Switch (switch at right):

1. Carriage moves Right (Positive X) at moderate speed until it hits switch and stops, reverses a bit (Negative X) and returns to switch at slow speed (positive X) until it hits the switch and stops more accurately at endstop point.

2. If switch might be damaged by Y or Z movement (if switch and contact point rub with Y and/or Z axis movement) X carriage reverses (Negative X) until damage to switch cannot happen.

3. X coordinate of Origin changes to MINUS size of X build distance in mm (changes to -(size of X build distance). Y and Z Origin values remain unchanged.

4. X Homing is completed and Shown as having occurred for purpose of print approval.

Y axis is the same as X, with Low switch at the front, and High Switch at the back.

Z axis ALWAYS has switch or position sensor at top of movement, which is LOW position.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 05:48PM by patrickrio.
August 03, 2015 05:57PM
I am in New York City. With daylight savings time (EDT), I am 5 hours earlier than London.
August 03, 2015 07:27PM
Hi again,

On a Cartesian or CoreXY printer, how you define the origin depends on which axis is upper/lower and which is left/right. On my Ormerod, as I normally view it X is away from me or towards me, and Y is left/right. I choose the upper left corner of the bed to be the origin. I could have chosen the lower right corner as origin, in which case the homing switches would be at the opposite ends of the axes.

If you have chosen the upper right corner to be the origin, then the X axis must be left/right, and the Y axis must be towards you/away from you. Correct?

Anyway, the following tells me that there is a bug:

patrickrio
2. After homing just X NEVER shows X=185, no matter what the start position.

Please accept my apologies for this issue. I believe I have located the problem, and I will try to fix it tomorrow morning, London time. Until then, as a temporary workaround, I suggest you manually put the head at X=0 Y=0 before powering on, then after power up send command G1 G92 X0 Y0 via the web interface in lieu of homing. Until your proximity sensor is working, you can define Z=0 in a similar way, which should get you printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 03:17AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

August 03, 2015 08:59PM
Wow, no need to apologize!!! I am very appreciative that you care enough to fix it.

Thanks for the work around... will DuetWebControl allow printing without homing???? I guess you wouldn't suggest it if it didn't....
August 04, 2015 03:17AM
patrickrio
Wow, no need to apologize!!! I am very appreciative that you care enough to fix it.

Thanks for the work around... will DuetWebControl allow printing without homing???? I guess you wouldn't suggest it if it didn't....

When you use G92 to define an axis position, the firmware considers that equivalent to homing that axis. There was a typo in my previous reply, I meant G92 not G1.

August 04, 2015 02:12PM
Hi, so I got the Zprobe working. However, when I hit Z home in DuetWebControl, it doesn't do anything. I assume there is standard, already written code for doing bed leveling and multiple point measurement with this probe. Can you direct me to that?

Also, my Z motor seems to drop power when it sits idle for a period of time, and this is allowing my bed to move. How do I keep the holding power up???

By the way, the Zprobe problem. the circuit board was missing a pad under the solder for one connection.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 02:23PM by patrickrio.
August 04, 2015 02:36PM
patrickrio
Hi, so I got the Zprobe working. However, when I hit Z home in DuetWebControl, it doesn't do anything. I assume there is standard, already written code for doing bed leveling and multiple point measurement with this probe. Can you direct me to that?

If you look at the message log, you will probably see the message "Must home X and Y before Z". Try putting the head at (0,0), then send G92 X0 Y0 to simulate X and Y homing. Then try to home Z again.

patrickrio
Also, my Z motor seems to drop power when it sits idle for a period of time, and this is allowing my bed to move. How do I keep the holding power up???

The optional I parameter in the M906 command in config.g defines the percentage of normal current that the motors get after the 30 second idle timeout. Default is I30. So try I50, or even higher.

August 04, 2015 05:38PM
I've put a new RepRapFirmware.bin file at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] which I believe fixes the XY homing issue. I've tested it as best as I can, using my Cartesian Ormerod to simulate a CoreXY machine.

I have also added support for simultaneous X and Y homing for CoreXY printers in this release. Once you are happy that X and Y home separately correctly, I'll tell you the changes you need to make to homeall.g for simultaneous XY homing.

August 04, 2015 09:24PM
Thanks,

New Firmware homes correctly.

However, G code print files that used to print now no longer wait for the printer to heat up and do not run the extruder....weird. it does all the movements with out heating up the print head and without extruding.... and it says that it keeps adding warm up time all the while it is moving around like it is printing.....Any Ideas????

It does manually heat up and extrude from the machine control tab....

Can you send me to a link that describes how to FTP files and/or firmware to the Duet for future reference???

Also, for Z axis homing, it starts from 260mm... so it goes REALLY slow for a long time to home......and the xy movement is also excruciatingly slow...any way to speed up????

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 12:52AM by patrickrio.
August 05, 2015 03:36AM
patrickrio
Thanks,

New Firmware homes correctly.

Glad to hear it! You may want to try setting up simultaneous X and Y homing. See [reprap.org] for how to do it, although as you are using high endstops instead of low as in the example, you will need to reverse the sign of all the X and Y movements. Let me know if it work OK for you, I don't have a real CoreXY machine to test it on.

patrickrio
However, G code print files that used to print now no longer wait for the printer to heat up and do not run the extruder....weird. it does all the movements with out heating up the print head and without extruding.... and it says that it keeps adding warm up time all the while it is moving around like it is printing.....Any Ideas????

If you check the log (in the Gcode Console tab of the web interface), I expect you will see an error message about no tool being selected. Also I think you will find heater 1 showing status Off instead of Active. the reason is that you need to send a T0 command to activate tool 0 (i.e. the first print head) before printing. The usual way is to put the T0 command in the slicer start gcode, but you can send it manually before printing instead if you prefer, or just click on the Heater 1 link to change the state from Off or Standby to Active. You can also put a T0 command at the end of config.g, but this won't help after one print finishes (deselecting all tools) and you start another.

patrickrio
Can you send me to a link that describes how to FTP files and/or firmware to the Duet for future reference???

Currently, you can only upload firmware via USB. To access the SD card via FTP, just connect to the Duet, by name or IP address, using an FTP client. I use Filezilla. You don't need a user name, but you do need to quote the password that you set up in the M551 command in config.g.

patrickrio
Also, for Z axis homing, it starts from 260mm... so it goes REALLY slow for a long time to home......and the xy movement is also excruciatingly slow...any way to speed up????

The proximity sensor probing speed is set by the M210 command Z parameter. If you don't have that command in config.g, the default is M210 Z100 i.e. 100mm/min. Also, make sure that the maximum Z travel speed set in the M203 command in config.g is appropriate for your printer. If you home too fast, it will overshoot and be less accurate, although it automatically slows down to 1/3 speed when it gets close. If necessary, you can change homez.g and the Z homing part of homeall.g to home fast then slow, like this:

M210 Z300
G30
G1 Z5
M210 Z100
G30

Which XY movement speeds are slow? The X and Y homing speeds are set by the F parameter in the G1 S1 commands in the homing files. The maximum speeds are set by the M203 command. Also the Settings tab on the web interface lets you configure the movement speed used by the movement buttons on the web interface.

August 06, 2015 01:11AM
Soooo. I have been quiet because I am using the new printer to print part improvements for itself....... BUSY!!! I will catch everyone up soon.
August 06, 2015 02:06AM
So it's all working well then?

August 06, 2015 11:59AM
XY axis is really working well in the center but has a mechanical issue at the edges I need to fix. will have to dismantle and rebuild, but very solvable. Z axis works, but I will dismantle it also, and make an improvement to it at the same time. I am also going to improve my extruder design and print bed.

BUT it prints VERY well in the center of the bed!!! much better than I have any right to expect as a total 3d printing novice who had the audacity to build my own design as my inaugural 3d printing activity.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2015 12:22PM by patrickrio.
August 07, 2015 03:10AM
@patrickrio, I'm glad it's all working well. Let me know if you find any other issues with the CoreXY support in the firmware.

btw Think3DPrint3D has just released version 0.85 of the Duet, which supports an additional extruder drive, extruder heater drive, and PWM fan. So you can drive a dual extruder machine from just the main board, same as with the Smoothie 5XC.

August 07, 2015 10:19PM
interesting.. only 4 drivers was going to be an issue soon..... they read my mind.

I just found the link, but 82.50 pounds plus shipping is going to be nearly $150 which is more than twice what I spent for the current Duet. I need a link to a place I can purchase it in the US for reasonable total price.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2015 10:38PM by patrickrio.
August 08, 2015 10:21AM
Just to be clear, for a two extruder printer, the current inexpensive 32bit processor solution is the MKS SBASE. It's current version seems to have a design issue that causes 2-3 degree fluctuations of the hot end temperature though. It's current total price to the US is $55 delivered to the US.

I understand they will shortly release another version of this board that fixes the design issue, and that it will cost about $60. A $25 dollar Rasberry Pi would get me great connectivity and even give me the option of easily making it wirelessly connectable for another 6 dollars. This ends up being nearly half the price of the new Duet card for US delivery.

I really like how well the Duet card works though!!! it is really strait forward and the web interface is easy and no-nonsense. Frankly, it may be a better solution... BUT maybe not be double the price better.....

I will use the DUET for the single extruder printer I have now. IT WORKS GREAT!!!! and cost me $72 delivered to the US. This is the cheapest 32bit processor with internet connectivity option currently available. And with a dedicated CoreXY installation guide, it would be pretty plug and play.
August 08, 2015 12:19PM
patrickrio
Just to be clear, for a two extruder printer, the current inexpensive 32bit processor solution is the MKS SBASE. It's current version seems to have a design issue that causes 2-3 degree fluctuations of the hot end temperature though. It's current total price to the US is $55 delivered to the US.

I understand they will shortly release another version of this board that fixes the design issue, and that it will cost about $60. A $25 dollar Rasberry Pi would get me great connectivity and even give me the option of easily making it wirelessly connectable for another 6 dollars. This ends up being nearly half the price of the new Duet card for US delivery.

I really like how well the Duet card works though!!! it is really strait forward and the web interface is easy and no-nonsense. Frankly, it may be a better solution... BUT maybe not be double the price better.....

I will use the DUET for the single extruder printer I have now. IT WORKS GREAT!!!! and cost me $72 delivered to the US. This is the cheapest 32bit processor with internet connectivity option currently available. And with a dedicated CoreXY installation guide, it would be pretty plug and play.

Patrick

Maybe look at the DUEX4 from Think3dprint3d it is a 4 driver extension board that will take you to 8 drivers for arround £55 DueX4 ($80 or so i think)

HTH Doug
August 08, 2015 01:06PM
Once again, it starts getting pretty expensive for US delivery. There is not any good source for shipping to the US for the DUEX4 board, so I would pay through the nose for the shipping as well as pay for shitty exchange Pounds-Dollars.

Total cost for Duet and Duex4 would end up being $72 for the Duet plus approx $95(have to include that shipping...) for the Duex4... Total of $167 which is more than the $150 Duet v0.85. This is still quite a bit more expensive than I would like just to get one more extruder.

In my opinion, The Duet needs a US supplier to be competitive here. It needs to get it's price for 5 drivers down to $95 shipped in the US to be considered, and down to $85 or less shipped to be truly competitive. I could probably suggest a good US distributor if they were interested and were committed to these prices.....

P
August 08, 2015 01:48PM
patrickrio

The nearest comparable board to the Due 0.8.5 is the Smoothieboard 5XC, which costs $169.97 + shipping from Uberclock. So even with shipping to North America, the Duet should work out less than the Smoothie. But I take your point, there are cheap Smoothie clones available now, and the Duet needs a US distributor.

patrickrio

I have written a guide to configuring the firmware for CoreXY, it's at [reprap.org]. However, the page on configuring the firmware for a Cartesian printer that it refers to is published but incomplete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 01:48PM by dc42.

August 08, 2015 03:52PM
Yes dc42, the info is all there, and people like you are here to help, which makes this the BEST option for a beginner still I think, but it is not as easy as it could be, truthfully.

It wouldn't take much really... just get everything together in one place AND more detail around commissioning changes that must be made for a custom install versus an Ormerud. The Ormerud kind of glosses over important stuff for everyone else because everything comes preset for them.....
August 08, 2015 04:02PM
Oh, I found one weird and potentially dangerous mistake you can make when you have wires exposed....

I accidentally shorted the two wires to the proximity sensor that are connected on my machine to the top two end stop pins on the Duet Z axis (normally connected to the top two pins on the X axis).

The Duet went into a pretty hard crash. But more DANGEROUS is that this crash caused the hot end heater to turn on FULL BLAST even while the Duet itself was fully crashed. It got so hot that plastic started smoking and PEEK started melting.

The hot end was turned off before, so it wasn't like it just stayed turned on, the glitch CAUSED the hot end to turn on and did not resolve just by reset attempts or unplugging. The short had to be found AND it needed a power off reboot.

I am lucky I didn't completely burn the Duet out I think (no permanent damage), And so I am understandably reluctant to test this and see if the same fault occurs if you short it again, but people should be aware maybe.
August 08, 2015 04:29PM
patrickrio
I accidentally shorted the two wires to the proximity sensor that are connected on my machine to the top two end stop pins on the Duet Z axis (normally connected to the top two pins on the X axis).

The Duet went into a pretty hard crash. But more DANGEROUS is that this crash caused the hot end heater to turn on FULL BLAST even while the Duet itself was fully crashed. It got so hot that plastic started smoking and PEEK started melting.

The hot end was turned off before, so it wasn't like it just stayed turned on, the glitch CAUSED the hot end to turn on and did not resolve just by reset attempts or unplugging.

I can see from the Duet schematic that if you short out the 3.3V power while leaving the 5V power intact, all the mosfets will turn on. The processor on the Duet didn't crash when you shorted the height sensor power wires, it shut down completely because it was starved of 3.3V power, and that same 3.3V power is needed to keep the mosfets off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 05:02PM by dc42.

August 09, 2015 12:42AM
patrickrio

In my opinion, The Duet needs a US supplier to be competitive here. It needs to get it's price for 5 drivers down to $95 shipped in the US to be considered, and down to $85 or less shipped to be truly competitive. I could probably suggest a good US distributor if they were interested and were committed to these prices.....

P

I have looked into becoming a dealer for the Duet here in the US, but unless I purchase 1500 Duets from current supply chains I get about a 5% discount which doesn't make it worth shipping here and then try to compete with shipping from UK. I am trying to see what I can do to source PC boards and parts to assemble them here in the US. I would really like to "try out" the Duet first before I do that but currently have a cash flow shortage to be able to get one.

-os3dp
August 09, 2015 02:28AM
Os3dp, have you tried all 3 manufacturers: RepRapPro, Replikeo, and now Think3dprint3d?

August 09, 2015 05:10PM
I have tried all three. I never heard back from Think3DPrint3D. The two I heard back from had almost identical discounts. 5% till hundreds.

-os3dp
August 10, 2015 02:39PM
dc42
I've put a new RepRapFirmware.bin file at [dl.dropboxusercontent.com] which I believe fixes the XY homing issue. I've tested it as best as I can, using my Cartesian Ormerod to simulate a CoreXY machine.

I have also added support for simultaneous X and Y homing for CoreXY printers in this release. Once you are happy that X and Y home separately correctly, I'll tell you the changes you need to make to homeall.g for simultaneous XY homing.

These changes are now included in release 1.09e of my fokr, see [forums.reprap.org] for details.

August 20, 2015 06:04PM
Hi,

Back from my trip, and starting work on the printer again.

Looking to print a box for the control board but want one with space for a fan. Any suggestions on a good solution????
August 20, 2015 07:25PM
Sorry, I don't have any Duet enclosure designs with provision for a fan. If you have a fan, it should blow air along both sides of the Duet. So your enclosure would need to be around 40mm thick instead of the 15mm or so that would otherwise be sufficient.

On Cartesian printers the Duet is normally mounted vertically, and if you provide ventilation holes then it cools well enough by convection without a fan. So my Duet enclosure on Thingyverse doesn't have provision for a fan. You might need a fan if you run all the motors at 1.2A, or any motors above that.

When the Duet is mounted horizontally under the bed of a delta printer, a fan is a good idea. I recently published a design on Thingyverse for a back panel and rear support bracket with fan mounting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2015 01:21PM by dc42.

August 21, 2015 11:06AM
For easy reference, here is the link for the dc42 designed case...

[www.thingiverse.com]

I had planned to mount the duet flat, but your point about convective air flow is a very good one. I am going to change the position to an on edge, vertical mounting as a result.

I now plan to mount the Duet on the front right side of my "box" oriented like in this Thingiverse case:

[www.thingiverse.com]

And I think that this case may be easier to modify for thickness and have better "edge vents" for mounting vertically than even the dc42 designed case:

[www.thingiverse.com]

This will also give very easy access to the RJ45, MicroUSB and MicroSD connections as well as the reset switch. I also think that it will be very easy to add a blower fan to the back of the case if I need it... and close the lower vents maybe....

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

SO.. there is my best recording of Duet case links for posterity.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login