Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Controlled CoreXY - latest Firmware and Install Proceedure?

Posted by patrickrio 
Re: Duet Controlled CoreXY - latest Firmware and Install Proceedure?
August 23, 2015 01:57PM
I made a first draft of a Duet case designed for my application... combined features of a few and modded a bit. I have attached it so anyone can use it.

It has a finger hole so you can hit the reset button, has big vents, and is made so the clear cover will slide in from the top. I elected to keep the erase button harder to hit, and you will need to remove the clear cover to get to it.

This case will need to be modified again when my fan arrives, and I think I need to put a bit more ventilation space below the board also. I will keep everyone posted.

a few questions:

1. what is the name of the connectors used on the Duet, and where can I buy them? I would really like to be using the lock tabs....

2. I want to increase the max acceleration rates in the config file... but I really don't know what is appropriate. linearly moving mass in the xy plane is only 150g and there is very little friction, so I should be able to accelerate a lot faster... What suggestions do you have for max rates?? I just have no experience with this...motors have 78 oz in torque at 1.8A....

almost through my first KG of filament.

(edited for motor torque and amps.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 02:35PM by patrickrio.
Attachments:
open | download - duet case.stl (160.1 KB)
August 23, 2015 02:19PM
patrickrio
I made a first draft of a Duet case designed for my application... combined features of a few and modded a bit. I have attached it so anyone can use it.

It has a finger hole so you can hit the reset button, has big vents, and is made so the clear cover will slide in from the top. I elected to keep the erase button harder to hit, and you will need to remove the clear cover to get to it.

This case will need to be modified again when my fan arrives, and I think I need to put a bit more ventilation space below the board also. I will keep everyone posted.

a few questions:

1. what is the name of the connectors used on the Duet, and where can I buy them? I would really like to be using the lock tabs....

2. I want to increase the max acceleration rates in the config file... but I really don't know what is appropriate. linearly moving mass in the xy plane is only 150g and there is very little friction, so I should be able to accelerate a lot faster... What suggestions do you have for max rates?? I just have no experience with this...

almost through my first KG of filament.

Connectors are Molex KK series 2.54 mm pitch see [www.rapidonline.com] kk&filterSearchScope=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 02:23PM by dougal1957.
August 23, 2015 03:23PM
I see the connectors listed several ways.. I think they are all the same:
1. KK-100 or 0.100 inches
2. KK-254 or 2.54mm
3. KK 2.5mm
4. KK 0.98 inches

I think that these are all the same connector. Please confirm.

also, I guess I need a crimper tool too... any suggestions on good, inexpensive crimpers available in US??
August 23, 2015 04:11PM
Another issue,

Sometimes, when I cancel a print, the system doesn't retract the filament, sometimes it retracts a little, and sometimes it retracts completely out of the machine and keeps retracting for up to a few minutes.

Why does it vary so much???
August 23, 2015 04:22PM
patrickrio
I see the connectors listed several ways.. I think they are all the same:
1. KK-100 or 0.100 inches
2. KK-254 or 2.54mm
3. KK 2.5mm
4. KK 0.98 inches

I think that these are all the same connector. Please confirm.

also, I guess I need a crimper tool too... any suggestions on good, inexpensive crimpers available in US??

ok

0.100 inch is the same as 2.54mm pitch so kk-100 or kk-254 is what you want as for a crimp tool the cheapest place I know is Hobbyking.com

Try Crimp tool

Doug
August 23, 2015 04:51PM
Molex connector part numbers are 22-01-20x5 for the shell, where x is the number of ways. The crimp pins that fit in it are Molex 08-50-0032. A compatible low-cost crimp tool is the HT-225D which is widely available on eBay and elsewhere.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 23, 2015 07:04PM
connectors and crimper ordered.

any suggestions on acceleration limits??

any suggestions on why the printer has the weird retracts on print pause???
August 24, 2015 02:53AM
patrickrio
connectors and crimper ordered.

any suggestions on acceleration limits??

any suggestions on why the printer has the weird retracts on print pause???

I suggest you try XY acceleration of 2000, that's what I use on my delta although I am sure I could go higher. Z acceleration will depend on your Z steps/mm.

The retraction issue on pause suggests to me that you are using absolute extrusion, whereas relative is recommended for RepRapFirmware if your slicing program supports it. However, I updated the sys/pause.g and retract.g files in SD_Image a couple of days ago, adding M83 commands so that they work properly for absolute extrusion.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

September 24, 2015 07:46PM
Hi... This is probably a question for DC42, but if someone else knows the answer, please let me know....

I am now finally getting around to setting up the Z axis probe. I am using the IR proximity sensor from the omerud and want to use it for auto bed compensation. I have the whole bed covered in white masking tape which seems to work as well as blue tape for adhesion.

1. Ideally, how far away from the bed surface at desired Z=0 should I set the bottom of the sensor?
2. Ideally, where should I set the sensor to measure for best compensation results?

Thanks!!!
September 24, 2015 11:25PM
I suggest you place the bottom of the sensor board about 1.5mm higher than the tip of the nozzle. Read the Ormerod calibration instructions on the RepRapPro web site for how to set it up. If the sensor works at the centre of the bed as well as the corners, you can add a 5th bed probe point at the centre.

For an alternative sensor that is less dependent on the bed surface, check out my mini differential sensor in the For Sale section.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login