Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is there a 'go to' Core XY machine for 1st time builders?

Posted by David J 
Is there a 'go to' Core XY machine for 1st time builders?
September 03, 2015 10:59AM
I have had a Prusa i3 printer for some time now, and it has been modified, tweaked and generally tarted up to the point where it's working very well for me.

Now I fancy making a Core XY printer, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious equivalent to the Prusa i3... or have I overlooked it? I would want it to have a similar print capacity to the Prusa and, ideally, could be driven by simple technology such as RAMPS. I would also like to find a design with decent build documentation!

Is there anything out there like that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2015 11:07AM by David J.
Re: Is there a 'go to' Core XY machine for 1st time builders?
September 03, 2015 04:10PM
Take a look at this one
After Hbot, go to CoreXY
September 04, 2015 08:44AM
gforce1
Take a look at this one
After Hbot, go to CoreXY

Hmm - maybe a little ill-defined for my liking. I'd have to do a fair bit of creative development to get a working result, I think.

I have been looking at this one: PrintQB V2

This might be more useful to me as I already have many of the components - all the motors, a choice of a RAMPS or Duet control board, a heatbed and a power supply. I even have a reel of suitable Spectra cord! There are some details I might add, such as bracing pieces for the corners, but otherwise it looks like a simple thing to make.

There are no specific instruction with this one either, but I think that I could work it out from the photographs.
September 04, 2015 08:56AM
Also check out the SmartCore. It's a CoreXY designed by the guy who designed the Smart Rap.

[forums.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2015 08:57AM by gmh39.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
September 04, 2015 03:49PM
Ah nice topic. I was looking for exactly such a thread.

I want to build a new printer out of my old one and have done some searching about CoreXY printers. I want one made out of wood which is easy to cut by hand without a CNC. Also I don't want one made out of aluminium profiles to cut down cost. I have some 10mm wood plates laying around. So I came across two coreXY designes which look good.

The SmartrapCore and the X3D XS CoreXY.

From a first look at the wooden sheets and the construction I made some conclusions.
The SmartrapCore uses a very simply profile for the wooden parts. You just have to cut rectangular sheets. Their dimensions are spit out by the jscad files.
The plastic printer parts should easily snap onto the sheets.

The X3D XS CoreXY has a sightly more complicated wooden profile. You need holes at specific points to mount the plastic parts. There are also 'windows' cut into the frame. This needs a higher accurarcy while cutting and drilling. And I know myself, I always mess up measurements... . The plastic parts need to be placed very accurate to achieve a symmetrical array. Also the print volume of the XS version is 190(X) 185(Y) 140(Z) mm. I don't really like this because from time to time you need those extra mm up to 200x200x200 to print some larger parts. But there is also an XL version with a working area of 250x200mm which is quite cool.
One thing in particular I don't like about the design is the inaccurate BOM. It reads like "Linear shaft fi 8mm - 2m". Without an in-depth analysis of the model (all.stl) there is some work to be done to figure out the correct length. But anyways we are makers so this is our beloved burden.

Anyways my question after this short review is if anyone has made experiences with either printer design and could share knowledge and printing/maintenance experiences/results

Blog: Capotexl
Filament Factory - How to build your own cheap filament extruder
Frankenstein Laser Engraver
Make the world a better place
September 04, 2015 05:34PM
The SmartCore looks good, but isn't ideal for me - my printers live under or around my desk, and a large wooden box wouldn't be very convenient - not easily mobile like a frame made out of extrusion (more grabbable, if you know what I mean). Hence my interest in the PrintQB I mentioned earlier.
September 04, 2015 06:03PM
Yeah I know what you mean. Also I don't trust those fishing lines. I am currently trying to build a tiny cnc for pcb-ing and this one uses nylon strings as a belts. But I first have to see and build such a belt drive myself.

Blog: Capotexl
Filament Factory - How to build your own cheap filament extruder
Frankenstein Laser Engraver
Make the world a better place
September 11, 2015 09:18AM
Hi David,

I have an prusa i3 stell version and like you i have decided to build an corexy. There are several good models you can use to build your core xy.

For me i have decided to build my own model, but with the corexy mechanism of an already existing one to be sure it will work well.
If you have curiosity check my project:
[www.thingiverse.com]

Investing in an printer corexy i think is the best you can do, any corexy well build is far superior to an type of prusa out there.
In my printer i using an ramps 1.4 and overall is work well, but this board have limitation in the speed you can go. If you want to build a really fast printer you need an 32 bits board and very precise linear movements.
In my case i have lots to vibrations when the printer goes superior to 80mm/s because of the cheap linear bearings i using.

If you decide to build an corexy prepare yourself to long hours, but fun ones...
September 11, 2015 10:33AM
Filipe, I've already been watching your project! It looks very useful, so I've added it to my collection on Thingiverse.

I'm not quite ready to start building yet, as my delta has finally decided to work properly (after many months of messing around). The components of my delta were to go into the CoreXY, including the 32-bit Duet board. Now maybe I'll wait a while longer - unless the delta decides to go screwy again. smiling smiley

cheers,
David
September 17, 2015 10:41PM
Smartrap alu?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login