Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FuseBox ~$300 CoreXY Printer

Posted by AlexY 
Re: FuseBox ~$300 CoreXY Printer
January 01, 2016 08:52PM
I got my coupler off of eBay. However, I think it's my M8 rod that's causing the issue, since it isn't exactly 8mm in diameter. This means that it's pushed slightly to one side when mounted in the coupler.
January 01, 2016 08:53PM
Hi Alexy,

i recently stumbled upon your coreXY design printer.
Looks very solid to me. I think i'm gonna build one myself.
i just will be unable to print the top and bottom z-axis bracket since it is >190mm (my maximum print radius of my delta printer).
I guess i will design some smaller ones or maybe just split them up.
Looking forward to build it smiling smiley

Edit:
You think it is possible to get the printer files for 2020 extrusions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 09:05PM by Culain.
January 02, 2016 05:33PM
I think someone might've released a remix of my design on Thingiverse that uses 2020's; try checking there. The Z brackets are mostly designed in 1 piece for alignment, so it should be fine if you split them up.
January 03, 2016 04:54AM
Culain
Hi Alexy,

i recently stumbled upon your coreXY design printer.
Looks very solid to me. I think i'm gonna build one myself.
i just will be unable to print the top and bottom z-axis bracket since it is >190mm (my maximum print radius of my delta printer).
I guess i will design some smaller ones or maybe just split them up.
Looking forward to build it smiling smiley

Edit:
You think it is possible to get the printer files for 2020 extrusions?
I had the same issue when making the UM2 aluminium clone as my "source" printer was only 10x10cm. I used Netfab Basic to split the larger parts. Mainly for the Z-axis. Worked perfectly for me

Youtube guide (not by me) to split the file - I used this guide.
[www.youtube.com]

Another typed guide on it: [www.3dprintmd.com] (might be a bit dated)

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 04, 2016 04:20AM
Yeah well,
splitting isn't an issue.
The bigger problem is, that 1515 aluminum extrusions are not that easy to get in Germany.
So I'm about to change everything to fit 2020 aluminums with M4 screws. May take a while since I'm not that familiar with sketchup
January 04, 2016 04:31AM
Culain
Yeah well,
The bigger problem is, that 1515 aluminum extrusions are not that easy to get in Germany.
So I'm about to change everything to fit 2020 aluminums with M4 screws. May take a while since I'm not that familiar with sketchup
I'm Danish, so I know the 1515 is hard to find. You should buy from motedis.de - at least their profiles are very cheap.

Don't use skethcup for 3D printing as it doesn't make solids very well. You can use DesignSpark Mechanical for free. They have lots of guides.
Other solutions are the online [www.tinkercad.com] or [www.123dapp.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2016 04:33AM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
January 04, 2016 04:39AM
I planed to buy at motedis. The frame is at about 50€ incl. Nuts and lm8uu bearings.

Usually I use fusion360 when building something in 3d. But since the whole printer model is available as sketchup file. I go with that.
January 04, 2016 07:21PM
ok got a question. i have printed the left and right idler corners and the left and right x ends. and those ears are very brittle because of how it is printed. I have used superglue to try to make them stronger but they still break and im afraid if i try to put a bearing in it will break. how are you guys getting these to not break? i have upped my infil to 60%. do i need to up them to 100%?
January 05, 2016 05:32PM
Try upping your perimeter thickness, as well as possibly increasing your print temperature a bit. I haven't had any issues with those parts breaking on my printer.
January 05, 2016 05:33PM
someone just uploaded a 2020 remix.

[www.thingiverse.com]
January 05, 2016 05:35PM
AlexY
Try upping your perimeter thickness, as well as possibly increasing your print temperature a bit. I haven't had any issues with those parts breaking on my printer.

thx alex. that was what i was thinking but wasnt sure if that would work. i am so close to being ready to build this i am anxious. lol
January 05, 2016 05:52PM
pen25

[www.thingiverse.com]

yeah shit... i was just done modifying it myself and upload it to thingiverse...

Edit: Here it is [www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 06:34PM by Culain.
January 05, 2016 07:01PM
Culain
pen25

[www.thingiverse.com]

yeah shit... i was just done modifying it myself and upload it to thingiverse...

Edit: Here it is [www.thingiverse.com]

better to have choices right? lol. now i need to download this one as well and decide which i build off the 1515 version
January 06, 2016 09:06AM
AlexY

Could you possibly share your Slicer settings? Im currently using Slic3r and Simplify3d

Thanks
January 06, 2016 05:36PM
Do you mean my slicer settings I use in general, or settings for printing the FuseBox's plastic parts?
January 07, 2016 07:15AM
AlexY
Do you mean my slicer settings I use in general, or settings for printing the FuseBox's plastic parts?

The slicer settings you use in general and what software?

Thanks
January 08, 2016 03:48PM
Slic3r or Cura, though mostly Cura since Slic3r 1.2.9 has some extrusion issues.

Slic3r speeds are around 110mm/s with 300mm/s travels, and Cura's speeds are around 150mm/s overall with the same travel speed. Cura prints at higher speeds due to the thinner extrusion width, so the extruder can still keep up.
January 16, 2016 01:05AM
I'm going crazy. I was getting awesome prints now all of the sudden I'm getting later shifts. I turned the speed down re adjusted the stepper drivers and make sure all belts were tight.

Anyone else have any ideas
January 16, 2016 04:09AM
Brownievtec
I'm going crazy. I was getting awesome prints now all of the sudden I'm getting later shifts. I turned the speed down re adjusted the stepper drivers and make sure all belts were tight.

Anyone else have any ideas
yes. Try checking if your gantries (the brackets holding up the bearings for the rods) are still in good working conditions.
I had the exact symptoms you describe and turned out one of my gantries was a tiny tad worn, meaning the bearing could shift a tiny tad and would make a lot of friction.

Try moving the carriage by hand and see if you can feel any unwanted pull. Then check if the rods can move in the individual bearings - see if you can pull/push/move the rods to any side along with the bearing at each Mount-point.

I know the corexy Construction is different than my "ultimaker 2" setup, but it sounds like it could be the same.

January 17, 2016 06:59PM
Are the set screws on the pulleys tight?
Ax
January 28, 2016 07:48PM
Interesting project. I now have a bee in my bonnet about seeing how cheaply I can get parts for this and how well it'll function with said parts. I've been sat the past 5-6 evenings doing research on parts, and found out we can order from Misumi over here in the EU and UK. I think I'm done with my B.O.M. and have priced up both the standard 1515 version and the 2020 version, and there's not much in it all of about £2.66 (USD3.82). Bearing in mind I have a couple of 12v 35w PSUs kicking about, I'm omitting that from the price. The 2020 version comes out to £129.51 (USD185.96) and the 1515 version comes out at £126.85 (USD182.14). The next step is to choose what version (probably the 1515 and then the 2020 later on) and get funds together. So yeah. cheap printer is cheap, the question is, will the parts suffice?

Oh here's a link to my BOM - [docs.google.com]
January 29, 2016 03:10PM
I'm not sure I would trust a clone E3D to work well without jamming all the time—better to get a genuine v6 (or Lite6, for a cheaper option).
Ax
January 31, 2016 06:25AM
AlexY
I'm not sure I would trust a clone E3D to work well without jamming all the time—better to get a genuine v6 (or Lite6, for a cheaper option).

Yeah tbh, with the price being so low on other parts, I'll probably Lite6 it like my 3 Migbot Prusa i3s..
January 31, 2016 02:07PM
Just published version 1.4!

Main change is the switch to a single LM8LUU on each side of the z-axis rather than a pair of LM8UU's. The new design is more compact and significantly reduced z-banding for me. Also, I've tweaked some other parts a bit to simplify assembly and lessen the chance of breaking.
Ax
February 02, 2016 08:05PM
Culain
Yeah well,

Just a quick one, Misumi EU is based in Frankfurt. So you can actually order direct. I basically did that for 2020s, (I'm basing this off your remix) was the cheapest place I could find them cut to length.

I'll probably be modifying parts myself, I'm not to fond of the method of using cable ties to secure bearings, I have some SC8UU's hanging around too which I'll probably use for the Z axis. and I'm probably going to re-do the extruder carriage completely so I can use my preferred dual fan setup on the E3D. Will mean losing a little Z height but it's not something that really bothers me as I don't really print much over 100 high. Nothing against AlexY's original design, which I'll be starting with just my take on what could be improved to suit my needs.
February 04, 2016 05:55PM
good move on the lm8luu bearings alex. the longer bearings will keep them aligned better. i was thinking i needed to order the lm8uu since i hadnt ordered them yet so this is perfect since i have some spare lm8luu's. also need to order my hot end. will do this tonight when i get to work.
February 08, 2016 08:51AM
Ax

Just a quick one, Misumi EU is based in Frankfurt. So you can actually order direct. I basically did that for 2020s.

Did you buy through company? Misumi EU seem only to work with companies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 08:51AM by rmrf.
Ax
February 10, 2016 06:40PM
rmrf
Ax

Just a quick one, Misumi EU is based in Frankfurt. So you can actually order direct. I basically did that for 2020s.

Ah yeah, that's a point, I'm self employed and have a UK Limited Company, didn't even think of that, it's just automatic when buying printing stuff to put it on the Business. If you're in the UK, the next best place for 2020 extrusion is E3D at 1p/mm ex VAT it's not too bad.

Also, the build has begun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2016 07:35PM by Ax.
February 15, 2016 12:06AM
Ax, are your designs up on Thingiverse? I am modifying the design for 20x20 with a 500mm "box" square, so I wanted to start with a design that it is already built winking smiley

thanks!
February 16, 2016 02:08PM
Ax
rmrf
Ax

Ah yeah, that's a point, I'm self employed and have a UK Limited Company, didn't even think of that, it's just automatic when buying printing stuff to put it on the Business. If you're in the UK, the next best place for 2020 extrusion is E3D at 1p/mm ex VAT it's not too bad.

Also, the build has begun!

Hah! Now I know what all those pink parts were that you were printing (and yep, I'm over it. LOL) We tend to use the colors that our customers don't want for most of our own projects.

Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login