Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vibration dampers?

Posted by LarsK 
Vibration dampers?
December 14, 2015 07:55AM
Hey,

For some times I have been wanting to make some vibration dampers for my printers but have kept putting it off... On slow printers it doesn't matter but on my new printer it does as it can print relatively fast (I am maxing out the RAMPS/Arduino processing power @16 microsteps so how fast it actually is, I have no idea). Now the printer stands on bubble plastic (yes) and as ridiculous as it sounds, it works really well for vibration absorption.

But as forum readers may know, I am planning to make a heated enclosure and for that I need to wrap up the actual printer design...

So that's the back-story, now:

Anybody has any solid experience with vibration dampers? Or what do people do? Looking around photos I seem to have found a little of everything. Some just use normal table feet of the kind you can screw up and down to adjust, some put the extrusion on the table and done.

The cool industrial solution is to get something like this:

And this is maybe also what I plan on designing but just wanted to ask here before trying to re-invent anything...

The alternative solution is to fasten the printer to the table and that would increase the mass, a lot. But seeing that my bubble plast works it seems to me that a solution with just vibration dampers on the printer should be feasible.

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 07:55AM by LarsK.
Re: Vibration dampers?
December 14, 2015 08:01AM
Some printed springy feet made wonders to my prusa i3. It went from hearable through multiple doors to a printer I can sleep next to.
My corexy made of 2020 profiles sits on a metal cabinet and is really silent. I think its because of the TMC2100 stepper drivers that drive X and Y axis.
December 14, 2015 08:44AM
something soft will remove most of the vibration, there is no need of something so drastic.

Instead of making this mods, you can remove most of the vibrations made by the printer upgrading the steppers to 1/128. these steppers will remove almost all vibration and there is no need of this type of dampers.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 08:53AM by filipeCampos.
December 14, 2015 08:47AM
I've seen someone use Neo magnets to make their printer "hover". I'd say that is probably the best you can do since there isn't actually any contact points.

Also, switching to 24V apparently also reduces noise, but I have not seen a comparison yet though...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2015 08:49AM by gmh39.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
December 14, 2015 02:15PM
Hello all,

Woa, floating printer. That sounds pretty awesome - But I can only imagine that the entire printer starts oscillating after some time? The same reason why you want both dampeners and springs in a system.

You are all talking about noise, but part of my motivation is the vibration from the sharp accelerations(?) To me it seems like the sharp stops are getting reflected back and forth in the structure because there is an imperfect contact with the table. The result is that my printed edges comes out unacceptable at very high speed (~150 to 200 ish I think is the real speed).

I will shoot a video to show it.

@Edvardas - You talk about Springy feets ? Is that a reference to some particular model or method or is it just that it stands on springs?
December 14, 2015 03:42PM
What are your acceleration and jerk settings in a firmware? I hope you have lowered them as stock on a firmware they are way too high. On Marlin they are 10 000 for X and Y acceleraton and 20 for jerk. I think I have acceleration set at 1000 and jerk at 15.

These are the foot that I have on my i3 [www.thingiverse.com]
VDX
December 14, 2015 06:13PM
... in Marin4Due I have something like 3000 acceleration and 20 jerk on a much 'stiffer' system with 400mm/s what's performing pretty well ... was much slower when tested on a Mendel-frame.

For damping fast moving systems you'll need more mass in the frames ... for damping foot fall sound (for ultra precise moving) I used big/hards resin-dampers on the floor, a steel frame on them, medium-soft dampers on the frame, a granite-table on them, a dish with some Ferro-Fluid in it and NdFeB-magnets under the frame of the mechanic, sitting in this dish ... was even better, than an active pneumatic damper for >10k€ winking smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 14, 2015 07:27PM
VDX
... in Marin4Due I have something like 3000 acceleration and 20 jerk on a much 'stiffer' system with 400mm/s what's performing pretty well ... was much slower when tested on a Mendel-frame.

For damping fast moving systems you'll need more mass in the frames ... for damping foot fall sound (for ultra precise moving) I used big/hards resin-dampers on the floor, a steel frame on them, medium-soft dampers on the frame, a granite-table on them, a dish with some Ferro-Fluid in it and NdFeB-magnets under the frame of the mechanic, sitting in this dish ... was even better, than an active pneumatic damper for >10k€ winking smiley

Riiiight, lets say I want something in between that and what Edvardas posted - Maybe slightly more in the direction of that printed suspension Edvardas had winking smiley

No movie tonight of it, will see tomorrow. Thank you for all the inputs thus far.
December 14, 2015 08:21PM
Be careful about putting a soft base under the printer/feet. It may dampen vibrations, but a lot of printer frames are relying on a hard surface that they sit on to provide some structural rigidity. If you take away that rigidity you may have problems keeping the bed leveled/zeroed, amd possibly screw up the print quality, too.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login