Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it possible to deport motors far from work zone

Posted by starkn 
Is it possible to deport motors far from work zone
March 02, 2016 05:59PM
Hello,

I am building a device, this device is sensitive to electromagnetic fields, i am trying to lower the electromagnetic interference by moving the motors further away than the work zone, please look at the following picture:

The black square/rectangle define the work zone, the place where the head will stay, the left scheme is the standard one, the right one will be what i want to do, is it acceptable to do something like that? won't i have any errors?
VDX
Re: Is it possible to deport motors far from work zone
March 03, 2016 04:23AM
... you'll only get more elasticity from the longer belts.

For shielding against EM you can use iron sheets (better Mu-metal) for a housing ... but don't forget to shield all your cables too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Anonymous User
March 03, 2016 08:21AM
VDX
... you'll only get more elasticity from the longer belts.

For shielding against EM you can use iron sheets (better Mu-metal) for a housing ... but don't forget to shield all your cables too ...

Mu metal costs a lot, requires special procedures like heat treatment after forming ...
And what about the electric field ?
Anyway, there are not enough info as to the requirements. What is this "device" ? Is it even a 3D printer ???
March 04, 2016 11:52AM
Well, i am not allowed to disclose the usage of this device, i can say that it is actually a cnc in a (big) shoebox volume to work on a 10cmx10cm workzone, the head have to be able to move in a z plane, this head carries a prob that reports data about electrical current (i am not even informed about what it reports exactly), and is very sensitive to magnetic fields, that is all i can disclose.
March 04, 2016 01:31PM
You could try wrapping the motors with this:

[www.alliedelec.com]

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
March 04, 2016 02:17PM
If you put a stacked pulley where the motors normally would be, then you could relocate the motors farther away, and use a single closed loop belt from each motor to drive the stacked pulley.

Or, thinking three dimensionally, you could relocate the motors to *under* the box, and drive the pulley(s) from a rod attached to the motor(s).
March 04, 2016 04:49PM
Can you move the head to where you want to read the field, then turn the motor current off while you read it? That would eliminate the magnetic fields generated by the coils and cables, leaving just the permanent magnet rotors of the motors to interfere with the reading.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 04, 2016 05:44PM
gmh39
You could try wrapping the motors with this:

[www.alliedelec.com]

Cheap and affordable, i might end up using this combined with the other ideas i received

grat
If you put a stacked pulley where the motors normally would be, then you could relocate the motors farther away, and use a single closed loop belt from each motor to drive the stacked pulley.

Or, thinking three dimensionally, you could relocate the motors to *under* the box, and drive the pulley(s) from a rod attached to the motor(s).

This is actually extremely smart, you sir deserve a medal.

dc42
Can you move the head to where you want to read the field, then turn the motor current off while you read it? That would eliminate the magnetic fields generated by the coils and cables, leaving just the permanent magnet rotors of the motors to interfere with the reading.

That is also as clever as the idea before, your 3 ideas combined will reduce a great deal of the electromagnetic interference, if not all.

Now, the biggest interference will come from the Z axis, i need something that works like this in principle, but without the motor there on top:

The probe will have to descend and rise fast, but i have no idea yet how to depot the motor (using an electromagnet is not an option), is a servo a good alternative?

EDIT:Never mind, i found a solution, basically i will use the same thing in the picture above, with spring always pushing up, and have a string in flexible tube to pull it down, the other end of the string being attached to a motor, a servo or a solenoid (depending on additional data i receive).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 05:31AM by starkn.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login