Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introducing "Unobtanium"

Posted by Nosmo 
Re: Introducing "Unobtanium"
April 27, 2016 01:10PM
I used magnetic tape to hold the polycarbonate side panels on my printer. The advantage of using the tape is that it seals the print chamber almost air tight which helps keep heat and smell in when printing ABS. I used "matched pole" tape that comes in two rolls of opposite magnetic polarity. I found the adhesive on the tape didn't stick to my printer's aluminum frame very well, so I peeled the tape off and applied some contact cement to the frame and the clear panels and restuck the tape. No more problems.

You can see the black tape around the edge of the clear panel here:

When the panels are removed and replaced they practically jump into position on the printer frame.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 27, 2016 01:31PM
Overview of the complete printer;

My goal was not to make this an airtight printer. I don't use ABS so smell isn't an issue but with my old printer I had many problems due to draft, especially during warm day's when a window was open or a fan was blowing. I hope that this will give enough protection against draft.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 01:37PM by Nosmo.
June 04, 2016 03:57PM
After a lot of messing around with the bowden setup I decided that enough was enough and that I should have listened to Felipe.

The bowden extruder is gone! And so have all the retraction and jamming issues.thumbs up

This is the new direct drive setup.

The pancake drive is half the weight of a normal Nema 17, so no issues with print speed yet.

June 13, 2016 08:24AM
nice work.
how did you secure the extruder?
July 16, 2016 05:01PM
I'm running a titan feeding 1.75mm filament with an even smaller motor just 20mm total length and it runs just fine. Might be a slight weight saving to be had. Nice printer BTW.

Titan extruder is secured by printing a bracket which fits between the extruder and motor, so you can attach it any way you like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 05:02PM by DjDemonD.

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
August 01, 2016 04:51PM
Your printer looks incredible. Very clean and sophisticated design. Grats!

I also like that you used acrylic panels, they look good. I want to use acrylic panels with my printer soon as well. Did you ever have any problems with the acrylics due to cracking or so? And: How thick are the panels you use?
August 14, 2016 08:16AM
I really like your build Nosmo!
Clean and nice looking.
As I'm building this printer my self I'm definitely looking into your build of it as well.
Would you consider to share how you secured the Titan extruder? And possibly an stl file of it?
August 19, 2016 01:03PM
Amoniak
I really like your build Nosmo!
Clean and nice looking.
As I'm building this printer my self I'm definitely looking into your build of it as well.
Would you consider to share how you secured the Titan extruder? And possibly an stl file of it?

Here is one place to buy the Titan [www.filastruder.com]
August 19, 2016 01:52PM
Here are some titan mounts for various printers easily adapted to your printer with free cad software. [www.thingiverse.com]

Simon Khoury

Co-founder of [www.precisionpiezo.co.uk] Accurate, repeatable, versatile Z-Probes
Published:Inventions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login