Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help to setup Duet for coreXY

Posted by appjaws1 
Help to setup Duet for coreXY
April 07, 2016 10:58AM
I have just ordered and am printing parts for a coreXY machine.
I would like to use my spare duet v6 and duex4 to run the machine.
I need advise on setting a config file?

I know that I will need to change the steps per mm for XY and Z, I am intending to use the ormerod extruders.

The Z direction will be operated by 2 Nema 17 motors with 8mm lead screws. I seem to remember dc42 suggesting that the best option is to connect these in series to help maintain the bed at the same height.
Each motor has 4 wires, red, black, green and blue How do I connect in series?
Will the duet handle the current OK from a 12-13 volt supply, I suppose that I would need to set the Z motor circuit to 1 amp. What do you think?

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
Re: Help to setup Duet for coreXY
April 07, 2016 03:50PM
There is a sample config.g file for CoreXY in my github repo, but of course you will have to tailor it for your machine.

You can find a diagram showing how to connect two motors in series in the RepRapPro wiring instructions for the original Mendel and Huxley kits.

If your motors are high inductance ones or 0.9deg/step, and you are looking to achieve high speeds, then you may need to use 24V power instead of 12V. Otherwise, 12V power should be OK. Personally, I would use 24V on any new build because of the extra flexibility it gives - not just for the choice of motors, but also for twice the availability heated bed power before you need to resort to an SSR.

HTH David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2016 03:52PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 08, 2016 05:38AM
Thank you, just what I needed.

appjaws - Core XYUV Duet Ethernet Duex5
firmware 3.1.1 Web Interface 3.1.1
Ormerod 1-converted to laser engraver, Duet wifi
OpenSCAD version 2020.07
slic3r-1.3.0, Simplify3D 4.1.2, Cura-4.4.1
April 17, 2016 06:22PM
appjaws1
I have just ordered and am printing parts for a coreXY machine.
I would like to use my spare duet v6 and duex4 to run the machine.
I need advise on setting a config file?

i've just swapped over to a duet 0.8.5 and spent a day or so configuring it, i described the process here and include a link to the configuration that i came up with. yesterday i added comments to the config so you can see what's going on and why. [forums.reprap.org]

what definitely caught me out is that i don't have a z-probe. it took a few edits and quite a lot of reading to work out what to do. also, i have a high-end x-stop so had to turn the homez (and homeall) direction of travel for the x-homing around.

good luck and keep in touch, i'd love to see pictures of your printer when it's up and running with a duet.

-- sandwich200: compact portable folding corexy printer [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login