Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just an observation: by the number of "new topics", CoreXY doesn't seem to be all that popular :-/

Posted by realthor 
I am sometimes wandering on the forums and have noticed this for some time now. I am quite puzzled as the number of topics in the Delta style printers is so much higher, not counting the Prusas which seem the most ...
Are CoreXYs all that new? Are they misunderstood?, underrated?

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
Or are there fewer people building them and fewer problems?

Forums like these are populated by a very specific group of people/geeks. Most come and go as they experience problems and find solutions. The cheapskates mostly buy i3s and the speed freaks mostly buy deltas, hence the activity surrounding those types of printers.

CoreXY machines are not widely available as kits. While they have the potential to be higher quality printers, they are a little more complex than i3 mechanically which means higher cost, which means the cheapskates avoid them. Most coreXY designs won't print as fast as deltas claim, so the speed freaks avoid them, too.

So who are the people working on coreXY printers?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
CoreXY appears to be very complex, until you actually see one operating - at which point you realise that they're fairly easy to understand. Certainly easier than the very difficult maths involved with a delta!

I think many people are scared off by the rumours of difficulty that surround CoreXY: it really isn't as hard as people make out. There are some aspects that you have to get right, but otherwise it's just another 'mechanical thing'. Getting past the "male bovine droppings" is a large part of getting one of these printers to work, coupled with a good control board and decent firmware

As for speed - my CoreXY is faster than my Prusa i3, but not as fast as the delta I once had. However, it is as reliable as my Prusa, and more accurate. It is way more dependable, robust and understandable than the delta.
David J
CoreXY appears to be very complex, until you actually see one operating - at which point you realise that they're fairly easy to understand. Certainly easier than the very difficult maths involved with a delta!

I think many people are scared off by the rumours of difficulty that surround CoreXY: it really isn't as hard as people make out. There are some aspects that you have to get right, but otherwise it's just another 'mechanical thing'. Getting past the "male bovine droppings" is a large part of getting one of these printers to work, coupled with a good control board and decent firmware

As for speed - my CoreXY is faster than my Prusa i3, but not as fast as the delta I once had. However, it is as reliable as my Prusa, and more accurate. It is way more dependable, robust and understandable than the delta.

It would be nice to be able to follow a link in your signature to see your CoreXY. Pardon my suggestion but it's always nice to see others' creations.

BTW, i have thought about the less problems that a corexy can have compared to the others, maybe a more industrially-oriented clientele and even the intimidation factor due to the harder to grasp XY movement system. Still, this should translate in more builds and more topics at least in the "Look what i've made section" grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 01:47PM by realthor.

realthor
It would be nice to be able to follow a link in your signature to see your CoreXY. Pardon my suggestion but it's always nice to see others' creations.

Fair comment.

Here's mine: G&C CoreXY
David J
realthor

Fair comment.

Here's mine: G&C CoreXY

It's hard to remember all names here in the forums, especially if we aren't interacting more often in common topics but yeah... mea culpa, I am a big fan of the G&C...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2016 04:04PM by realthor.

There are many, many sub $400 delta kits available, most of which have made "questionable" choices in assembling the kits.

Getting help assembling these kits, and making them work correctly generates a great deal of traffic.

To my knowledge, there are *no* CoreXY kits available, and very few 'hobbyist' level CoreXY systems (ie, < $1000), so nearly all the traffic on this forum is people who understand at least the basics of CoreXY, and are building their own printer from scratch, or at least, from someone else's design.
Having struggled with a delta and its calibration fits as a first printer (huge mistake) I finally circled back to a simple i3 type design (Robo R1+) and life has been so much better. Lot's of delta topics revolve around calibration, dimensional accuracy and the tons of processing required to get that at high speed (32-bit boards). I'm hoping with the Robo's help and very careful alignment (metal corners, etc) I can get my delta going again but I think CoreXY seems to represent a better cross between speed and calibration complexity. I agree that the lack of pre-packaged kits does seem to limit interest in CoreXY. It seems to me that to go CoreXY you either need a working printer or some other way to source parts which also limits interest along with the higher initial expense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 04:09PM by WZ9V.
Who says that there are no CoreXY kits available? Here's a modestly priced one to get on with: Smartrapcore ALU. If you don't fancy buying the whole kit, you can buy part-kits (e.g. plastic parts). This design is also on Thingiverse, or even its predecessor if you fancy a bit of woodworking.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of this design, but it is available and I believe that these have been built by quite a few people.
They have a special reprap forums section in "Machines organized by name" area called smartrapcore.
But they aren't since very long on market that's why they are probably less sought for for buying kits. Plus they cost more than the chinese Prusa clones.

David J
Who says that there are no CoreXY kits available? Here's a modestly priced one to get on with: Smartrapcore ALU. If you don't fancy buying the whole kit, you can buy part-kits (e.g. plastic parts). This design is also on Thingiverse, or even its predecessor if you fancy a bit of woodworking.

I can't comment on the effectiveness of this design, but it is available and I believe that these have been built by quite a few people.

My apologies-- I knew of the smartcore, and the smartcore aluminum, but wasn't aware they'd finally produced a kit (I stopped paying attention when I decided to build a triple-C bot).

Still, though, compared with the number of Delta kits available... And of course, the smartcore has it's own forum next door. The C/D/3C-bot(s) all have their own forum as well, over at openbuilds.
Here is a bunch of CoreXY

[openbuilds.org]

confused smiley
some corexy kit you can buy:
USA: [www.eclips3d.com]
PORTUGAL (my country) : [www.reprapalgarve.com] (good printers for the price and they have the option to sell them already build without be to expensive)

In my opinion corexy are not very popular because they are a more expensive and for someone new they can appear to be complicate.
Prusa are cheap and simple to understand, and delta can be cheap and have the cool factor.
The Eclips3d is a partial kit. Lots of cool designs on OpenBuilds also but again very few compared to i3 and Deltas everything to get you going is in the box kits.
grat
David J

My apologies-- I knew of the smartcore, and the smartcore aluminum, but wasn't aware they'd finally produced a kit (I stopped paying attention when I decided to build a triple-C bot).

Still, though, compared with the number of Delta kits available... And of course, the smartcore has it's own forum next door. The C/D/3C-bot(s) all have their own forum as well, over at openbuilds.

the chinese just hasnt picked up on corexyif the smartrap gets adopted we will see a flood from them with cheap corexy printers. tevo is trying to come up with some stupid bastard of a printer called the unicorn with the z running like a cnc z to reduce the #'s of motors and save costs. tried to explain to them the z bed is a better design choice to reduce weight and increase effective speeds but they dont want to listen.

anyway once a printer gets adopted like the i3 and the delta we will start seeing more kits.we just need a big name like makerfarm or printrbot to release a corexy and we will see it happen
WZ9V
The Eclips3d is a partial kit. Lots of cool designs on OpenBuilds also but again very few compared to i3 and Deltas everything to get you going is in the box kits.

its a good piece of kit. developed himself through trial and error in his dorm room. and to think a year and a half ago he started out with a two-up. created a kit to upgrade the pos to a decent printer and moved on to the eclips3d
pen25
WZ9V

its a good piece of kit. developed himself through trial and error in his dorm room. and to think a year and a half ago he started out with a two-up. created a kit to upgrade the pos to a decent printer and moved on to the eclips3d

I like the Eclips3d, its just not a full kit, and as such requires more effort than if everything were in the box.
There is also the possibility that CoreXY printers are less problematic, therefore less people and up looking for help.
WZ9V
pen25
WZ9V

I like the Eclips3d, its just not a full kit, and as such requires more effort than if everything were in the box.

I built his 3up, and its a fantastic machine, and am working on my Eclips3d now. Cant go wrong with his stuff
Maybe the CoreXY attracts people who are pretty handy at figuring the basics out them self? So we don't see many "what kind of motor" topics here.

I have been off these forums for a time and it is in part because I feel we are maybe circling a little too much around the same experiences we each have. This hobby takes time - lots of time - and it really takes time to support a short post with real experience.

Getting the 3d printer basics to work is ridiculously easy with the CoreXY, but then comes the more complicated stuff like installing vibration dampers (and afterwards measure if they made a difference) or build heated enclosures and actually finishing the project or even just actually determine that 3 colour printing with moving nozzles is hard.

So in the end, so many open tasks and that is just my own posts in this forum. On my "3d pinter to-do" list I still have to connect my DUET, print the AndreasL bed, move from 4 to 3 adjustment points on my heated bed, try other ways of assembling extruded alu.... Etc...

At the end of the day, even just bench-marking your change through a couple of prints is a day worth in the "lab" and that gives you the basis for one reply to a post. Then it is really difficult to have a lively forum smiling smiley

Just you Realthor winking smiley - How many in this forum is not waiting for you to print some of your CAD designs to actually elaborate if they worked or not? And you will have to measure to actually support your claims, the usual "IT PRINTS REALLY WELL; LOOK AT MY VASE" is not accepted - Hehe - I am sure you get the problem smiling smiley
grinning smiley Point Taken. But believe me I don't wish anyone my come-and-go lifestyle. My only option is to stop doing anything for a while, just like you did, and maybe others, and come back when I am done with moving around with BTs and when I am back home. But for that to happen a few more years can pass...so I've chosen to stay and do whatever I can do with the time I have.

Regarding the corexy I have designed, it ended up being something closer to a reproducible project, not a repstrap of sorts that is unique and lonely smiling smiley. I have printed most of the parts but I have changed the design so often I ended up throwing away a bag of PLA parts when I left my previous location. They were all "printable" smiling smiley. I know this has been worrying some.

But hey, this is a hobby and it takes time, as you say...so it will be done when time permits.

LarsK
Maybe the CoreXY attracts people who are pretty handy at figuring the basics out them self? So we don't see many "what kind of motor" topics here.

yay! self-regulating design memes! i _knew_ there was a good reason why i picked corexy smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login