Posted by rastaman46 
Corexy homing issue advice needed
May 12, 2016 08:09AM
Hi all

Just turn my prusa i3 into Corexy but got some problems there hot smiley

I got Z homing fine

Y homes fine

But X doesn't

X seams to homes fine but don't understand why then it start to move in Y direction then its jams

Firmware I use is Repetier

Regards
Re: Corexy homing issue advice needed
May 12, 2016 09:38AM
hi rastaman,

you need to give a bit more information, such as what firmware version, what controller, where are the endstops (perhaps take photos and mark them up) - i've never seen an i3 and wouldn't buy one so i wouldn't know where to begin.

also, have you specifically recompiled and/or configured the firmware as CoreXY? CoreXY is a 'difference' system - X+Y motors means "move carriage X" X-Y motors means "move carriage Y".
May 12, 2016 11:45AM
Thanks for reply

Its fully reconfigured for CoreXY. Firmware is latest Repetier 0.92 or something.

Board ramps 1.4
Arduino mega

End stops wired up on MIN and in firmware set same (Works on Y&Z) But don't work on X its hits the switch it look like homes but then start go to Y direction don't understand why.

Ill get video done once home to show what going wrong.

Regards
May 13, 2016 05:12AM
Sorted thanks for help

Problem was X endstop didn't work for some reason replaced now runs fine and fast !!!

Regards
May 15, 2016 06:06PM
rastaman46
Sorted thanks for help

Problem was X endstop didn't work for some reason replaced now runs fine and fast !!!

Regards

awesome smiling smiley btw can i recommend replacing that RAMPS board as a matter of priority? if you had a duet for example it has LED indicators for the endstops, which tell you if the endstops are working or not. but there are more reasons than that - the stepper ICs on tiny *EXPERIMENTAL* boards are not designed for production use and you will, guaranteed, run into problems in the future - overheating, inexplicable stalls, steppers blowing up and so on.
May 16, 2016 03:44AM
Replace with what ???

RADDS&ARDUINO DUO?

See attached for build

Regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 03:50AM by rastaman46.
Attachments:
open | download - corexy.jpg (300.4 KB)
May 16, 2016 05:04AM
rastaman46
Replace with what ???

a duet (sorry, i did say but i didn't capitalise it, so it's easy to miss). it's a type of 32-bit board with a much faster ARM processor, and, crucially, all the stepper drivers are on the main PCB, so you don't get the heat and unreliability problems associated with RAMPS. the current version is 0.8.5 and there are low-cost china clones of the previous version, 0.6, for $65 if you prefer. here's a link: [reprap.org] also the Duet's ARM processor can easily do PWM at 100,000 pulses/sec so you could do 500mm/sec on the X and Y with no problems there. for comparison, arduinos max out at around 350mm/sec before you run into speed and timing problems.

See attached for build

Regards

that looks great, rastaman46! that's a belt-drive for the Z-axis, isn't it? i like the way you've used thick metal structure here, doubled-up at right-angles on each edge, that's 20x40 rectangular tube? those bed supports, that's a lot of plastic - must have taken a while smiling smiley can i ask, how did you join the metal together?
May 16, 2016 06:24AM
Frame made from 39x19 ERW tube (Just tack welded together ) Really nice and stiff frame love it

Yes Z belt driven system (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:730199)

I had it done in wood but didn't like it was really loud (Box noise effect)

So gone for steel got drawings if needed

Electronics Duet is good but I don't like that it have built in 1/16 steppers

I thinking to go for RADDS&Arduino Due for 1/128

What did you think about this setup ???

My biggest problems is noise (Neighbours if you know what im saying)

Regards
May 16, 2016 09:50AM
rastaman46
Electronics Duet is good but I don't like that it have built in 1/16 steppers

I thinking to go for RADDS&Arduino Due for 1/128

What did you think about this setup ???

My biggest problems is noise (Neighbours if you know what im saying)

Regards

You might want to wait a few weeks for the Duet NG then.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 16, 2016 10:53AM
Any dates on this ? what steppers will be used?

Regards
May 18, 2016 03:46PM
lkcl
awesome smiling smiley btw can i recommend replacing that RAMPS board as a matter of priority? if you had a duet for example it has LED indicators for the endstops, which tell you if the endstops are working or not. but there are more reasons than that - the stepper ICs on tiny *EXPERIMENTAL* boards are not designed for production use and you will, guaranteed, run into problems in the future - overheating, inexplicable stalls, steppers blowing up and so on.

There are many reasons for replacing RAMPS with pretty much anything else-- But socketable stepper drivers is not one of them.

Virtually all RAMPS boards are cheap-- cheaper than cheap. Underrated polyfuses, underrated power connectors to the heated bed, no heatsink on the MOSFET for the heated bed, cheap +5V regulators that blow as soon as you hook up an LCD, difficulty driving full-graphics LCD's, and well, 8-bit firmwares are about as good as they're ever going to get (Although Marlin keeps getting slower, so really, I only consider Repetier or Sailfish to be reputable for 8-bit at this point, and Sailfish won't run on RAMPS).

If you set the vRef correctly, don't short them out, use a heatsink (yeah, it's inefficient-- but it still works), and occasionally blow some cool air across them, the socketed stepper drivers run just fine. Oh, and don't disconnect your stepper while powered. They're inexpensive, easy to replace when they blow, and best of all? They plug directly into a RADDS board. smoking smiley

On the other hand, having digipots (see vRef) is nice, and the boards with steppers built-in rarely have any heat dissipation issues. You do, however, have to replace the entire board (or do some serious solder-fu, and I believe, lose the digipots) to upgrade drivers.
May 19, 2016 11:48AM
I run my prusa i3 for more that a year never suffered non of this never replaced a stepper all runs fine
grat
There are many reasons for replacing RAMPS with pretty much anything else-- But socketable stepper drivers is not one of them.

Virtually all RAMPS boards are cheap-- cheaper than cheap. Underrated polyfuses, underrated power connectors to the heated bed, no heatsink on the MOSFET for the heated bed, cheap +5V regulators that blow as soon as you hook up an LCD, difficulty driving full-graphics LCD's, and well, 8-bit firmwares are about as good as they're ever going to get (Although Marlin keeps getting slower, so really, I only consider Repetier or Sailfish to be reputable for 8-bit at this point, and Sailfish won't run on RAMPS).

Yes made bid dif on LCD usage much faster on repetier Marlin was bit sluggish on this
grat
(Although Marlin keeps getting slower)
Agree Here its nice to be able to swap stepper from one to the other but this is not the case soldering is my hobby love it
Reason for swapping is that u able to get some upgrades .Not just stick with 1/16 its to old and to loud for this tech
grat
If you set the vRef correctly, don't short them out, use a heatsink (yeah, it's inefficient-- but it still works), and occasionally blow some cool air across them, the socketed stepper drivers run just fine. Oh, and don't disconnect your stepper while powered. They're inexpensive, easy to replace when they blow, and best of all? They plug directly into a RADDS board. smoking smiley

On the other hand, having digipots (see vRef) is nice, and the boards with steppers built-in rarely have any heat dissipation issues. You do, however, have to replace the entire board (or do some serious solder-fu, and I believe, lose the digipots) to upgrade drivers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login