Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

4 motor CoreXY?

Posted by PulsedMedia 
4 motor CoreXY?
August 03, 2016 07:59PM
Anyone tried?

Any reason not to? Any reason to do it?

Stepper drivers and steppers itself are relatively cheap for Nema17s, and i was just wondering if someone tried this and if there was any benefit to be had. Apart doubling torque that is.
Re: 4 motor CoreXY?
August 03, 2016 08:24PM
Why not 5?

Reminds me of this:

[www.youtube.com]

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
August 04, 2016 04:59AM
no.. no.. no..
not 4 or 5 motors, 7!
7 is the correct number...

why put 4 or 5 when you can have 7, right?
August 05, 2016 04:10PM
You could. Two for corexy, one for E, and One for Z, drive two lead screws with a belt connected to one motor, might stay in sync better
August 05, 2016 07:14PM
spauda01
You could. Two for corexy, one for E, and One for Z, drive two lead screws with a belt connected to one motor, might stay in sync better
have you see the video on the second post?
if no, then check it and learn...

the number is 7.
And if the printer do not work with 7, they offer one more for free..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 07:14PM by filipeCampos.
August 05, 2016 09:25PM
You're dreamin' about gorgonzola when it's clearly brie time, baby!

August 06, 2016 09:37PM
On a more serious note, 4 would work but would only be worth it in huge printers due to the sync that would have to be achieved to reduce belt wiggle and stuff... post it if you make one!
August 09, 2016 07:59AM
4 motors can work really well if you split the xy stage in two parts, one for the hotend and and one for the extruder motor . But you also have to double the motion system. I will give you an hybride direct / short bowden setup.

You can have a benefit on big printer where ringing can happen really quickly with speed.

Makerbot replicator 2
SMOOBEX (cubex mod with smoothieboard)
CubexUpgrade.com
Corexykit.com (en construction)
August 30, 2016 12:55AM
From reading the other post there seems to be some confusion about what you are referring to, or at least to what I think you are referring to.

If you mean putting one stepper motor on each corner of the XY gantry and paring the diagonal steppers I have recently done it:
Links to Videos:
[goo.gl]

[goo.gl]

[goo.gl]

Photos:

So what is the advantage of using 4 steppers? The biggest reason the have 4 stepper is to shorten the "spring" length of the belt. As you know in a core XY system you have a lot of belting running around so shortening the amount of belt that is springing will permit the user to run the printer at more aggressive accelerations. Another side benefit of 4 steppers is that they make really convent 5mm shafts to attach idler pulleys to.

What are the disadvantages of using 4 stepper? Cost and motor honk on rapid moves. Motor honk can be completely eliminated by driving each stepper with its own driver.

For me it made sense to try but given my experience building this printer I would not recommend CoreXY. The added complexity of routing and tensioning the two belts along with the "spring" length of the belt make CoreXY really tedious to execute effectively.

I am currently on V3 of my XY gantry:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 12:58AM by FrankPropaneTank.
August 30, 2016 11:34AM
You're essentially putting two motors in series mechanically (and maybe electrically), and assuming that full and microstep positions of the two motors will always be exactly the same. I would not be so sure about that. While it isn't likely to lead to gross errors, I wonder about print surface finish.

Like so many other 3D printing compromises, it usually comes down to cost vs performance, though in this case, improvement in performance is questionable. Are two low torque motors cheaper than one adequate torque motor? I suppose it could be useful if you have motors with insufficient torque on hand and don't want to buy motors that have sufficient torque. You haven't changed the total belt length, so I don't think there's going to be any improvement in performance related to belt behavior.

In your first video the Y axis belts don't appear to be parallel to the guide rails.

August 30, 2016 03:03PM
Dentist,

The print quality is excellent provide the speed and acceleration settings are correctly set.

But to entertain that idea for a moment the error will never be more than a full step, as if it were the stepper motor would lose many steps. In my setup we have 80 steps per mm so the maximum error we can have will be 0.0125mm or +- 0.00625mm really nothing to worry about.

The total belt length is not relevant only amount of belt able to stretch under force.

Let us take the red pulleys as linked together and the green pulleys as linked. Now let's think about how force transmitted by timing belts. If we were dealing with a frictionless pulley and a frictionless belt the tension along the full length of the belt be the same and any force on the end effector would transmitted along the entire length of the belt. Timing belts and pulleys are not frictionless infact for our purposes we can take them to have infinite friction. How can we make this statement? If a force is large enough to overcome the teeth of the belt and pulley we have lost control of the system so we can consider that to out of our design scope. The same is true for any force large enough to force us to lose a step, any force that can cause a lost step renders the system out of control thus we are again out of design scope.

So we have now set the boundaries for our problem let's apply a force to our X carriage:

We can now see how the force is transmitted along the belt back to the first driven pulley it encounters.
Now lets take a look at a stock coreXY config:

You see how the force on the blue belt is transmitted along a much longer belt path in this configuration than in the 4 motor configuration.

Strain is defined at the change length over the total length of a member under load, so it is best to think of it as a percentage. Most timing belts have about a 2% strain before failing so for every 100mm of belt you can see up to 2mm of stretch in the belt, you will be taking most of the stretch out of the belt when tensioning it but there is still a good bit present. By using 4 stepper motors we cut the amount that the blue belt able to stretch about 2/3 rds! (assuming a square/symmetric XY travel) I have not run the exact math but this will certainly reduce the effective belt stretch of a coreXY printer. I would guestimate a 4 motor coreXY system can accelerate between 25% to 50% faster than the same system with only 2 motors; holding end effector deflection constant ie. the same print quality.

Yes the first video was my first XY gantry, it was not great and required a correction table printer correctly. The belts on my current design are parallel.

All this being said CoreXY is not really suited for large printers due the the amount of belt involved even with a 4 Motor setup.

Never stop making -Frank

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 03:16PM by FrankPropaneTank.
August 30, 2016 05:26PM
FrankPropaneTank
What are the disadvantages of using 4 stepper? Cost and motor honk on rapid moves. Motor honk can be completely eliminated by driving each stepper with its own driver.

What do you mean by "motor honk"? When you experienced it, what motors were you using, did you have them connected in series or in parallel, and were you using 12V or 24V power (or something else)?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 05:27PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 30, 2016 07:38PM
On my system the motor honk only seems to appear when just one motor pair are running. As you can see in the video it is significantly louder and of a different tone than the regular stepper motor whine.
[goo.gl]

My motors are connected in parallel and I am running at 24V with a Deut 0.8.5 as it happens. My steppers specks are 5.5 kg-cm, 4.2v, 1.5 Amp.
August 31, 2016 02:24AM
If they are 1.8deg motors then you may get better results if you connect them in series instead of in parallel, and reduce the current accordingly.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 05, 2016 07:04PM
FrankPropaneTank

But to entertain that idea for a moment the error will never be more than a full step, as if it were the stepper motor would lose many steps. In my setup we have 80 steps per mm so the maximum error we can have will be 0.0125mm or +- 0.00625mm really nothing to worry about.

I think you mean 0.2mm, a full step at 80 MICROsteps/mm with 16x microstepping.
October 05, 2016 07:55PM
n8bot
FrankPropaneTank

I think you mean 0.2mm, a full step at 80 MICROsteps/mm with 16x microstepping.

It's even worse than that. The phases of the currents in a stepper motor repeat at intervals of 4 full steps, not one. So a motor will skip 4 steps at a time. Likewise if two motors driven in series or in parallel get out of sync following power off and on again, they will lose sync by 4 steps. So 0.8mm in that example.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login