Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rectangular build space: X axis on the long or short side?

Posted by orea 
Rectangular build space: X axis on the long or short side?
September 29, 2016 10:12AM
On a CoreXY with a build surface around 20x40cm, would it be best having the X-axis the on the long or the short side?
On the short side there will be the two Y beams to support shake and X would be rigid from being short.
Most of the motion will be done in the Y direction though, so there might be a point in not lugging along the whole X axis as much? (rather having the carriage sip along the larger distance on a long X axis?)

Not sure what to think, if anyone have some insight or opinion it would be appreciated smiling smiley Thanks for reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 10:31AM by orea.
Re: Rectangular build space: X axis on the long or short side?
September 29, 2016 11:58AM
My twopence worth. The x axis usually consists of just the hot end but the y axis has the hot end plus the x axis rails. Therefore the y axis will be heavier than the x axis so it'd make sense for that to be the shorter axis. On the other hand, having the x axis short would mean the rails are not so long and will therefore be stiffer. That will also make the y axis a bit lighter. Take your pick.
September 29, 2016 12:37PM
Thanks for chiming in, indeed, they options possibly outweight each other.. The carriage will be light (bowden for some speed) but even that factor don't help decide, as the benefits and inconveniences remain. hmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2016 12:38PM by orea.
October 02, 2016 04:33AM
Long supported Y axis would be my pick.
October 02, 2016 08:33AM
If you ever intend to put more than one extruder on it, make the X axis the longer one. Otherwise I'd make the Y axis longer.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
October 04, 2016 06:52AM
It will be a low cost PLA machine for my brothers art, so then long Y axis it is.
The bed will be something like 20x40 or even 15x50, so probably two beams are better for support of the long side.
Will probably use v-slot rollers on Y to keep price down, and reused smooth-rods for X. Speed and cost are higher priority than precision, the (finished) pieces he want to make will be 1-2m large
Thanks for the opinions, will post a pic when (if) it happens smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2016 06:55AM by orea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login