Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corexy movement Help

Posted by dthomas6184 
Corexy movement Help
November 10, 2016 01:29AM
I've finally got my printer rdoing motion tests but I've run into an issue. When I home the x or y the gantry only moves front to back and its super slow and choppy about it. I must have done something wrong, I'm running a ramps/Mega combo with repetier (set for corexy). I have pictures and video of the setup and it moving but but the site won't let me upload. any idea of what I could have done wrong?
Re: Corexy movement Help
November 10, 2016 04:39AM
Hi,

you can upload the video on youtube and them post the link here. For images you have a option to put some photos in this forum, check the "attach a file" option.
If you upload a video it will be a lot more easy to help you.

but normally the type of problem you have can be many things, where a possible list of the cause:
-low voltage on the steppers
-bad build, the carriage need to mutch force to be moved correctly by the motors.
-incorrect connections of the motors on the ramps, this because you say it move only front to back.
-incorrect homing velocity on the firmware.
November 10, 2016 07:49AM
November 10, 2016 08:00AM
The firmware is just a basic setup to get it moving. I just reconfigured the firmware to better match my printer but I haven't uploaded it yet.
November 10, 2016 08:39AM
finally got the pics to work
Attachments:
open | download - 20161108_164907.jpg (554.5 KB)
open | download - 20161108_164914.jpg (597 KB)
open | download - 20161108_164923.jpg (504.7 KB)
November 10, 2016 09:05AM
hi,

I think the problem is because you have one of the motors not corretly connected. Put a photo where i is possible to see the color cable of the motor connecting in the ramps board.

after solving this issue you need to add more tension on the belts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 09:24AM by filipeCampos.
November 10, 2016 09:56AM
Two things:

It looks like the left side belt is flopping around a lot. Both belts should be tight.

Turn the phone sideways when you're shooting video.

Does the mechanism move smoothly when the belts are off? If not, fix it.

Check the cables between the motors and the controllers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 04:18PM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 10, 2016 09:56AM
Wow, that is some nasty noise, sounds like a lawn mower! Does the carriage move freely when the motors are disabled? Sounds like some binding is happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 09:57AM by widespreaddeadhead.
November 10, 2016 10:29AM
I did tighten up the belts last night but it was to late for me to try it out, the noise is the body panels rattling... right now they are only being held together by duct tape. The gantry moves good when I move it by hand (with and without the belts).

the motor wire colors are orange, blue, yellow, red. They have some random extensions on them temporarily so I can sit the whole thing on a table and not have it hanging. they are both connected with the orange wire pointed toward the polyfuses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 10:29AM by dthomas6184.
November 10, 2016 11:17AM
Def. try again with tightened belts. If you have a multimeter check the voltage on the drivers and make sure they aren't too low or too high.

Are the motors moving they way they are supposed to? I mean when you tell it to go left/right/back/forward does it actually goes left/right/back/forward?
November 10, 2016 11:17AM
checked again the video and i think is not wiring problem where you could have not connect corrtly the 2 coils of each motor. if is was this the motor will simply not turn.
on the video both motors turn on oposite side, but the turn is not smooth.
- you can check the voltage of both steepers, must be somewhere 0.7v to 1v
- on the belt twist the teeths of each belt do not touchs?

post a better video where you move the carriage only in one direction and where is possible to see uplose the motor running, belt path, etc..
November 10, 2016 11:34AM
I've had similar issues and noise to what you show in the video. In my case, 1 of the 4 stepper wires from the X and Y motors was not making good contact. It causes it to have a grindy sound with similar motion to what is in your video around 0:37. I ended up re-crimping the connectors on both ends and not seen the issue since on my systems.
November 10, 2016 11:37AM
I'll post a better video later this evening.
November 10, 2016 01:34PM
The wiring setup I have now is only temporary, I have to cut and extend all the wires. All the electronics will be going under the printer. Where should I put the probes to check the driver voltage?
November 10, 2016 02:15PM
November 16, 2016 12:22AM
Here is a better video [youtu.be]
November 16, 2016 12:24AM
I also checked the voltages on the X and Y stepper drivers, X came out to .6 and Y .508
November 16, 2016 04:12AM
this value are low. Increase the voltage of both up to 1v, then test is solved to problem. If it was solved this way you need then to ajust better the voltage decreasing slowlly until the carriage stop to move corretly again, then finally add 0.2V. Normally adding only 0.1V in the final step will be enouth, but your carriage is still empty, so go with 0.2V

PS: if you do not have a not condutor screw drive do no not change the voltage of the stepper with the ramps connected to the eletricity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 04:14AM by filipeCampos.
November 16, 2016 05:57AM
I think I might have smoked my RAMPS with a stupid endstop. I plugged them in to test, the board came on just fine and cycled the motors just fine then I hit one of the endstop and the whole thing goes dead and won't come back. I checked the voltage at the powersupply input and I get a 12v reading but when I check the voltage at the stepper drivers it's gone down to .2.
VDX
November 16, 2016 06:30AM
... seems you've put the endstop the wrong way round and shorted your +5V support - replacing the 5V-regulator could help ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 16, 2016 07:32AM
The loud noise is just the machine attempting to run the carriage past the end stop. Any machine will make loud noise when you do that. It seems to run pretty smoothly when you aren't slamming it against a wall. I think it will be fine once you have the end stops sorted out.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 16, 2016 11:35AM
yeah, I have to reconfigure the firmware for the printer, its running a basic repetier setup just to test the motion. As for the endstops, I have 3 leads red, black, and green. I had them plugged in with the red facing the edge of the board and the green facing the stepper drivers.
November 16, 2016 12:23PM
dthomas6184
yeah, I have to reconfigure the firmware for the printer, its running a basic repetier setup just to test the motion. As for the endstops, I have 3 leads red, black, and green. I had them plugged in with the red facing the edge of the board and the green facing the stepper drivers.

Flip them around, that is the incorrect way. Red should be facing the the drivers.
[www.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 12:24PM by widespreaddeadhead.
November 16, 2016 01:51PM
thanks.
November 17, 2016 12:28AM
Everything is back up and running now, the endstops are installed and functioning properly. Should the drivers really be tuned that high? it was only .4-.5 in the video and if so should I tune the Z axis and extruders the same way?
November 18, 2016 09:30AM
That might be a good starting point, but eventually you should tune them according to how they run, if they are running too hot and skipping steps, tune them down a little. If they are too tuned too low and the extruder is clicking, tune them up a little.
November 18, 2016 10:28AM
Ok, cool. ill tune them tonight.
I have a question about the placement of the endstops, should I place them to allow the full range of motion of the XY gantry or just the build area? and for the z axis should I place the endstop at the top or bottom?
November 18, 2016 11:24AM
For the X and Y, I guess it depends on what you have in your firmware. My firmware is configured to use the full range for the X and Y, which for me is 220X200, even though I only have a 200x200 bed. However, if your firmware is set for just 200x200 in the X and Y, you can just place the endstops at min or max so that your nozzle just meets the corner of your bed, which if your facing the printer back left would be 0,0 Just make sure you have them set correctly in the firmware as max or min.
November 18, 2016 11:57AM
I have them all set at min in the firmware, X homes to the left and Y to the rear when I home them. I'll set them at the full range positions. For the Z axis, am I correct in wanting to mount the endstop above the build plate or should it be mounted below it?
November 18, 2016 12:29PM
I mount mine above, so that when it hits the endstop its at Z=0.

Y rear should be MAX not MIN.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login