Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

From Delta to CoreXY

Posted by rkfiske 
From Delta to CoreXY
January 15, 2017 11:03PM
Hey there guys.
I built a mini kossel awhile back, got it to print decently for awhile then suddenly ran into some issues and lost interest in printing. (New job and a few other life events).

I'm really interested in getting back into printing now, but was always frustrated with the finicky calibration of the Deltas and the Corexy designs really looked much clearer and I really like the concept of the z axis.

I'm having trouble however finding a good design to commit to. I understand this could be a really contentious question, but are there any designs that are considered to be the best? Just want to know really where to get started. I'll probably reuse my motors and electronics best I can, and hopefully can donate my Delta frame to someone more interested in tinkering than me. smiling smiley

I also have 400mm linear rails that would be great to reuse, but I can't seem to find any designs that incorporate them?

Thanks!!
Re: From Delta to CoreXY
January 15, 2017 11:35PM
Looking for a design that happens to match the parts you have on hand is probably more work than just designing around those parts yourself. If you're not sure where to start, start with the extruder carriage, then design the XY mechanism, then the Z axis, then the frame to hold it all. That's how I do things and it seems to work well. I don't always make the tiniest or prettiest possible printer, but I sure create some high quality prints.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2017 03:02AM
Going from Delta to CoreXY, you're gonna need a lot more pulleys.
And there's probably 4 or 5 ways to implement CoreXY.

Search Thingiverse.com for CoreXY. Tons of designs, true most use rods or V-slots.
There's also few good ones here that use linear guides. Just start browsing this sub-forum.
January 16, 2017 06:57AM
Those 400mm rails would match Jetguy's big boy printer. IMHO the cleanest COREXY design available right now. Very rigid and can be fully enclosed.
January 16, 2017 01:27PM
It's a shame you gave up on the delta. Delta calibration is a 2-minute job if you have three things: an accurate build (not a cheap kit), a good Z probe, and the right electronics and firmware.

I suspect CoreXY is better for really large printers, but I haven't built one yet.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 16, 2017 01:57PM
dc42
It's a shame you gave up on the delta. Delta calibration is a 2-minute job if you have three things: an accurate build (not a cheap kit), a good Z probe, and the right electronics and firmware.

I suspect CoreXY is better for really large printers, but I haven't built one yet.

Maybe I need to spend some time and TLC with my Kossel! I definitely could use a better z probe and revisit my build.
January 16, 2017 03:15PM
rkfiske
dc42

Maybe I need to spend some time and TLC with my Kossel! I definitely could use a better z probe and revisit my build.

You may find the wiki page I wrote at [duet3d.com] useful. The section on getting an accurate build applies to any delta printer. The section on calibration is mostly specific to RepRapFirmware, although the bit about manual calibration can be applied to printers using other firmware (but then it's a lot more than 2 minutes).

Sorry to divert this thread! Let's get back to talking about CoreXY. I agree with DD, either buy the parts you need to follow a particular design, or do your own design around parts you want to re-use.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login