Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a custom CoreXY

Posted by OutcastZeroOne 
Re: Building a custom CoreXY
July 10, 2017 01:09AM
chris33
ikcl

it's "l k c l" not "i k c l" - my name is luke kenneth casson leighton, i'm a software libre developer and advocate.

i think you all out of order trying to guess what mutley used for his gears

i am not guessing at all. far from it: i mentioned already that i visited mutley3d, and spent a really nice afternoon with him and his huge slobbery dog. he explained in some detail the key engineering and technical aspects of the designs that he's made (which are missing from online reports: he's primarily an engineer not a salesman). one of those aspects was: he researched ways to ensure that the gears do not wear out. that involved finding a way to infuse the material

im sure that does infringe anything they have set up between them with the license agreement,

?? which license agreement? to whom are you referring? who is "they"? and who is infringing on "their" license agreement? there's at least 4 ambiguities in this one sentence. you need to specify exactly who the parties are as well as provide a link to the license which has been infringed.

please could you stop using mutleys gears into any comparison

no comparison has been made [apart from the gear ratio] or can be drawn... because *no technical information is available about the zesty gears material and construction*.

to the zesty nimbles please as they not the same.

chris33, are you aware that you are requesting that i enact censorship on my own freedom of speech? i'm certain that that was not your intention. if you spot any factual or engineering errors that would be fine: i would understand, very much appreciate and respect that and would instead quote you as an authoritative and useful source of technical information in future.

however you have not provided any technical information about the design of the gears used in the zesty. if you happen to have some information about them that is publicly available, please do provide it. then we can have a proper discussion about the merits of each, *as is the whole purpose of this forum*.

we use this forum to do engineering research and techical reviews are you *seriously* requesting that i cease and desist from genuine scientific and technical enquiry? are you *really* expecting me to simply... blithely put my faith into some arbitrary proprietary product *without doing technical research* and a full technical audit? [with apologies to the zesty team, no disrespect intended in describing your products as "proprietary", i'm aware that you're doing your best: E3D is the "gold standard" - i believe they release full CAD files under the GPL license of all their products]

because that's where your request is going, chris. i don't believe that you fully grasp the implications of your request, so i am happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to clarify.

dang, some of these threads get... silly. *sigh*. not fun.
July 10, 2017 01:29AM
OK, let us all shut up about gears, Nimble vs the other one etc etc.
This is a post about Outcast wanting to build a CoreXY. Let this post continue on that and if you want to discuss the merits or demerits of the Nimble, start a new thread.

I for one, am looking forward to see a wooden CoreXY built and want to see how he does it. Let's get back to that and leave the other stuff somewhere else..
For instance, I am pretty curious tpo see how he is going to make the frame nice and stiff and indeed if temp etc has an impact on the frame.

Lykle
July 10, 2017 02:40AM

OK, let us all shut up about gears, Nimble vs the other one etc etc.
This is a post about Outcast wanting to build a CoreXY. Let this post continue on that and if you want to discuss the merits or demerits of the Nimble, start a new thread.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

But I'm afraid a guy naming himself Outcast and showed to be very sensitive about negative remarks, will not show up here again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 02:41AM by o_lampe.
July 10, 2017 04:36AM
lkcl
chris33
ikcl

it's "l k c l" not "i k c l" - my name is luke kenneth casson leighton, i'm a software libre developer and advocate.

i think you all out of order trying to guess what mutley used for his gears

i am not guessing at all. far from it: i mentioned already that i visited mutley3d, and spent a really nice afternoon with him and his huge slobbery dog. he explained in some detail the key engineering and technical aspects of the designs that he's made (which are missing from online reports: he's primarily an engineer not a salesman). one of those aspects was: he researched ways to ensure that the gears do not wear out. that involved finding a way to infuse the material

im sure that does infringe anything they have set up between them with the license agreement,

?? which license agreement? to whom are you referring? who is "they"? and who is infringing on "their" license agreement? there's at least 4 ambiguities in this one sentence. you need to specify exactly who the parties are as well as provide a link to the license which has been infringed.

please could you stop using mutleys gears into any comparison

no comparison has been made [apart from the gear ratio] or can be drawn... because *no technical information is available about the zesty gears material and construction*.

to the zesty nimbles please as they not the same.

chris33, are you aware that you are requesting that i enact censorship on my own freedom of speech? i'm certain that that was not your intention. if you spot any factual or engineering errors that would be fine: i would understand, very much appreciate and respect that and would instead quote you as an authoritative and useful source of technical information in future.

however you have not provided any technical information about the design of the gears used in the zesty. if you happen to have some information about them that is publicly available, please do provide it. then we can have a proper discussion about the merits of each, *as is the whole purpose of this forum*.

we use this forum to do engineering research and techical reviews are you *seriously* requesting that i cease and desist from genuine scientific and technical enquiry? are you *really* expecting me to simply... blithely put my faith into some arbitrary proprietary product *without doing technical research* and a full technical audit? [with apologies to the zesty team, no disrespect intended in describing your products as "proprietary", i'm aware that you're doing your best: E3D is the "gold standard" - i believe they release full CAD files under the GPL license of all their products]

because that's where your request is going, chris. i don't believe that you fully grasp the implications of your request, so i am happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and an opportunity to clarify.

dang, some of these threads get... silly. *sigh*. not fun.[/quote

so reverse engineering someone else is product and using the support they got to launch a derivative is morally wrong in my eyes they have not put the work in, but hey you have your opinion have mine im surely theres people out there who feel the same as i, freedom of speech yes not trying to censor nothing i just said your out of order and if its meant to be a corex and nimble thread why should you need to mention the flex3drive at all

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 10, 2017 05:15AM
chris33
so reverse engineering someone else is product

ok so this is the point at which you have your facts completely wrong: mutley3d was the first person to come up with the idea of using a flexible driveshaft for a filament extruder, based on his work in the automotive industry about a decade ago. regardless of who was "first" this is not the place to make accusations, chris33, *particularly* ones where your facts are so desperately wrong. i mean, for goodness sake, this is the *reprap* forum. the *whole idea* is to replicate ideas and improve on them! what on earth are you getting so upset about, and trying to accuse people of "stealing" ideas??

you've also neglected to preview-check your post, meaning that you're creating a huge amount of noise and confusion.

so it is with much regret that i have to inform you that i will not be responding to your posts. to do so simply invites you to make too many mistakes to correct... and then you seem to find something else to get wrong. so the simplest thing to do, sadly, is to just... not respond to you at all.

many many apologies to all for making the mistake of attempting to interact with chris33, and for causing such a huge distraction in the process.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 05:18AM by lkcl.
July 18, 2017 07:16AM
Here is the latest version of the Sidewinder (working title).

It has become a little more complex, as we need to account for the tolerances achievable with our SLS supplier.
That turned the Sidewinder (working title) into a 4 part extruder instead of a 3 part one. I hate adding parts!
But at least now I am confident that it will work in production. (we have learned a lot these last 2 weeks)

The prototype parts are arriving tomorrow, so I can start testing it all.

Looking forward to see the overall design Outcast is making for this printer. Already contemplating buying some MDF and copy what he is doing.
It will be a nice experiment, seeing how much temp and humidity variations I have here in Cyprus. Would be nice to what impact it has, if any.

Lykle
July 18, 2017 07:51AM
Forgive me if I missed it, but I stopped reading when ths thread turned into a soap opera. Why doesn't the drive cable enter from the top like the filament? I would think it would be easier to route the two together...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
July 18, 2017 08:25AM
It started when Outcast asked us if we could do it.
I said, no, Brian said yes and lo and behold, we could.

So the main reason is, it is what Outcast wants. The backstory is that the drive cable then gets bundled up with the electrical wires and probably in a drag chain or such. The filament will come from the top yes, but that needs less space than a drive cable.

I was also looking at making a hot end with the filament coming in almost horizontally, but decided I have enough on my plate. Main issue there is sealing it against leaking, as the way E3D uses to seal it will not work.

Lykle
July 19, 2017 03:06AM
@Lykle
Now come up with a version where the customer can set ( and fix ) the tilt angle of the cable on his own.
Just kidding grinning smiley
July 19, 2017 03:07AM
Already did that.
July 19, 2017 11:37AM
OK, as promised, here are some pics of the Sidewinder in place. This is on a Delta so it looks a bit strange, but it does work.

And a nice side view of the Sidewinder.

It prints, but still need to tweak a few things.

Lykle
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login