Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Mini CoreXY Build

Posted by Kewtdz 
New Mini CoreXY Build
August 08, 2017 08:14PM
Hello All!

I've decided to finally post about my 3D printer build I've been working on for over 6 months now. The printer is designed to be a smaller build volume with dual extrusion with a corexy motion system. I decided to embrace the Digital Dentist's design method and use 1/2" tooling plate for most of the frame. Below are the specs on the rest of the printer

• Hotend: E3D Chimera
  • Extruders: J-Max Belt Bowden Extruder (about 200 mm bowden tube)
  • Motion System: THK (9 mm) and Tompson (30 mm) linear guides
  • Controller: Replicape

I have a blog were I am detailing the build more at length. Feel free to check it out here: [www.additiveblog.com]

I'll also post updates on here as I can. My goal is to have this finished by the Milwaukee Maker Faire in September so I'll hopefully be moving quickly. After the printer is complete, I will post the CAD file as well. Let me know if you have any questions!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2017 11:07PM by Kewtdz.
Re: New Mini CoreXY Build
August 08, 2017 09:16PM
FYI Heads up and Whatever, but a lot of your pictures don't load. Would love to see it though!
August 08, 2017 09:27PM
Yah I can't see any pics
August 09, 2017 03:42PM
Me too smiling smiley
August 09, 2017 04:54PM
Hmmm that is odd... I'ok try to fix it tonight!
August 09, 2017 11:08PM
Images are updated! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!
August 10, 2017 04:01AM
Now we can see the pictures, I'd like to nominate your build for the RepRap Overkill Prize winking smiley

This thing is so massive, it could print while it tumbles down Mount Everest. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 04:08AM by o_lampe.
August 16, 2017 01:30PM
Noice!
August 22, 2017 03:12AM
It's going to be similar to this one in build quality.

Couldnt remember the name to search for images, they are on this site I think plus the guy's own website.
Yours looks a little heavier though, Just getting used to the scale, yours is. But a cool little project for sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2017 03:36AM by MechaBits.
August 24, 2017 09:31AM
MechaBits
Couldnt remember the name to search for images, they are on this site...

It's the DICE from RepRap-User Skimmy (german forum). The project site, including some nice updates, can be found here: http://well-engineered.net. I got lucky and got one for myself. It's easily capable in bringing 32-bit smoothie electronics to it's knees with 833mm/s travel using 10.000mm/s² acceleration.
August 25, 2017 03:53PM
A very cute little printer, so will be interesting to see how fast this one can go as it is a sturdier beast.
August 26, 2017 09:00AM
Warmduscher
MechaBits
Couldnt remember the name to search for images, they are on this site...

It's the DICE from RepRap-User Skimmy (german forum). The project site, including some nice updates, can be found here: http://well-engineered.net. I got lucky and got one for myself. It's easily capable in bringing 32-bit smoothie electronics to it's knees with 833mm/s travel using 10.000mm/s² acceleration.

If it's using 20 tooth pulleys and 32x microstepping, that's 160 steps/mm per belt, so I reckon the step rate would need to be 94.3kHz for a pure diagonal move (the worst case). I believe the Smoothieware maximum step rate is normally 100kHz, although you might be able to increase it if you recompile the firmware. Alternatively, try a Duet WiFi or Duet Ethernet controller - they can manage 360kHz step rate with just one motor moving, and 180kHz step rate to three motors simultaneously.

A move along an axis is an easier case, because each motor needs to provide only half the movement, giving 66.6kHz under the same assumptions.

If you are using 16 tooth pulleys instead of 20, then add 25% to the above speeds. Double them if you are using 0.9deg motors. Halve them for x16 microstepping instead of x32.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2017 09:12AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
September 14, 2017 01:46PM
Thanks all for the feedback and support! I actually reviewed the DICE printer quite a bit when I was designing mine and almost thought about just building one of those instead.

The controller board is a Replicape which I decided to use after getting a free Beagle Bone Black. I'll test the max speed after I get it running. I've been posting on my blog slowly but will post an update here soon too.
October 06, 2017 09:56AM
I've been a bit busy but the Milwaukee Maker Faire went well. I still have a few things to finish up on the printer before it will be printing but brought it to our Maker Faire to show off the project. The Digital Dentist and I had a lot of a shockingly good time (see DD's van de graaff generator) talking to people about the printers and out makerspace. Here are a few pictures from the Faire.

I'm going to get back to working on the printer in the next couple weeks. Right now I am designing a couple spool holders so the printer can actually print once operational.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login