Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

24V 8-bit controller board recommendations

Posted by Ismangil 
24V 8-bit controller board recommendations
November 04, 2017 09:16AM
Hi all,

I'm finalising specs for building a Hypercube design. Since I want to use 24V but still keep using Marlin.

Any recommendations for ready to use 8-bit board capable of 24V?

Bonus if easily available in the UK.
Re: 24V 8-bit controller board recommendations
November 04, 2017 09:44AM
8 bit, 12V, 16 bit 24 V ! smiling smiley

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
November 04, 2017 01:27PM
The Rumba board is 8bit and 24V capable.
It is also Marlin compatible, but I had bad results with 0.9° steppers and RAPS128 drivers in 1/64 microsteps on a CoreXY. Now it controls my Prusa i3 with minor problems. ( LCD and USB simultaneously on locks the printer)
November 04, 2017 01:45PM
o_lampe
The Rumba board is 8bit and 24V capable.
It is also Marlin compatible, but I had bad results with 0.9° steppers and RAPS128 drivers in 1/64 microsteps on a CoreXY. Now it controls my Prusa i3 with minor problems. ( LCD and USB simultaneously on locks the printer)
I

Thanks for that. I will be using 1.8° motors and A4988. Though the LCD USB is annoying if it happens. I'm planning to use OctoPrint as well as LCD!

Rumba on my shortlist then.
November 05, 2017 02:29AM
I've just started building my Hypercube too smiling smiley and have decided to use the MKS Gen v1.4 to start off with until I can get a 16-bitter. It's an 8-bit, 24v compact single board design for around £25.
November 05, 2017 04:34PM
"24v compact single board design for around £25."

think if i was spending £25 or there about it be

mks genL with this TFT thou it still needs another £20 for drivers , with a little extra for the bed
November 07, 2017 02:06AM
jinx
"24v compact single board design for around £25."

think if i was spending £25 or there about it be

mks genL with this TFT thou it still needs another £20 for drivers , with a little extra for the bed
What software drives the graphical display, smoothie type, (not marlin?)
November 07, 2017 03:09AM
Mechabits
What software drives the graphical display, smoothie type, (not marlin?)
neither there a 32 bit MCU on those controllers from mks and they run there own custom software communicating over serial. in the config file you have the option to define smoothie, marlin and another cant remember! which.. the TFT24 has the single ribbon cable option where as the 28 and 32 have both the single and the traditional dual headers of the reprap smart controllers

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 03:19AM by jinx.
November 08, 2017 12:01AM
Cheers jinx, so does that mean if you run it with marlin or smoothie option the graphic display changes, ie it only looks like the ad pic when running their own firmware?
November 08, 2017 03:08AM
mechabits
if you run it with marlin or smoothie option the graphic display changes,
, only had a short tinker with smoothieware but I dont recall a difference in appearance, think any changes are under the hood with the way it sends commands,,, thing with mks controllers there not intended to tinker with printers like the reprap controllers where we can tweak axis and just about all things with Mks its the plug and play approach with access to features like flow,fila exchange, speeds,bed levelling "never used", continue prints after power cut and whats not.
November 09, 2017 07:32PM
I will thro in a vote on the MKS Gen 1.4 but I recommend TMC2100 stepsticks.
I run that on my baby cube that is a reworked GeeeTech ME Creator but at 12v

Now with that said I am building a hypercube 24v and I WAS going to go same just because I am familiar with Marlin...

I just ordered a Duet Wifi tho....

By the time you get the MKS Gen 1.4 at $30 and a set of GOOD stepsticks around $40 rather than low end stuff and add a display panel say $20 and an Rpi for your octoprint..Guess $50
Thats like $140 ish

Your not that far off of the cost of something wonderful.....

I wish I had not done the 8 bit road on my baby cube...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login