Direction of z-axis
November 05, 2017 02:15AM
Hello everyone.

I have a small, and a bit stupid question. confused smiley

I am setting up the controller on my new printer, and I realize I do not know what's up and down on a corexy printer. My design is a normal CoreXY, but I do not know which way my z-axis should move when I press plus in my control program. I think there may be arguments for both ways, but I can not find an answer online. smiling smiley
Re: Direction of z-axis
November 05, 2017 07:33AM
Pressing + must increase the distance between the nozzle and the bed. So if it is the bed that moves in the Z axis, pressing + should move the bed down.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 05, 2017 09:13AM
I wrote a blog post on setting up firmware for a coreXY mechanism. Examples are based on Smoothieware but the principles apply to any controller, only the syntax changes.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 05, 2017 04:29PM
dc42
Pressing + must increase the distance between the nozzle and the bed. So if it is the bed that moves in the Z axis, pressing + should move the bed down.

Yes of course. Otherwise, all my g-code would have to be rewritten before it was printed. I was just momentarily confused by the graphical interface. smiling smiley

the_digital_dentist
I wrote a blog post on setting up firmware for a coreXY mechanism. Examples are based on Smoothieware but the principles apply to any controller, only the syntax changes.

This is worth gold right now. It will save me a lot of trial and error when I configure the printer. I certainly have not regretted that I have made a CoreXY. There are factually many challenges in this printer. Especially when you have zero experience with 3D printers, or building anything of this type at all. smiling smiley
November 05, 2017 09:58PM
I you find anything that isn't crystal clear, let me know and I'll edit the post.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 06, 2017 02:26PM
As with most CNCs, programming is based on moving the head (tool).
What actually happens is dependent on the architecture.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login