Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My first build

Posted by kattz 
My first build
April 23, 2018 07:33PM
I appreciate all of the information from people answering my first post in the General forum.

I want a stable machine capable of carrying the Dragon multicolor head, and is built like a brick outhouse.

I looked at the CoreXY machines, and they seem elegantly simple.

Does anyone have an accurate 3D model of the Dragon hot end with all five colors?(doesn't have to be printable) Initially, I plan on running a single head for run-in and testing, and will add the Cyclops, and then the Dragon in turn as things progress.

So, I've considered what I've read and seen, and the stability concerns voiced on my initial post by others.

The frame of the machine will consist of a cube of 20/40 extrusion. They will be drilled and tapped for bolts to secure them to square. The corner brackets are too wimpy for this size in my opinion.

Three 20/20 struts will carry linear bearings (not rod bearings, rail bearings) to guide the Z axis table. The heated table will ride on this table to eliminate heat expansion concerns. size of the heated table will be sized at least 20mm larger than the printer traveling ability.

Four lead screws with acme followers will lift the table squarely, and will be driven by one belt. Two if torque is a problem. Each lead screw will have a wraparound follower to ensure maximum # of teeth on the belt is engaged with the pulleys. Each lead screw will be supported top and bottom in a Misumi bearing carrier.

The print head gantry will consist of four linear bearings mounted on 20mm extrusion, two in Y axis on 20/40 and two on the X axis on 20/20.

NEMA steppers for the drives. The Z axis will probably require a gearmotor.

Mounting points for up to five Bowden extruders on the top rail at the rear.

Enclosed with a hinged door on the front.

Controls? I haven't a clue yet. I'm good with robotics and PLC programming, but C and other coding frustrates me. I will use a Rumba board because it seems to have everything I'll need, want WiFi, Ethernet, and a small HMI or touchscreen.

Honestly, I'm going to need some help when it comes to the controls. Mechanically, I think I got this... Mistake #1 - overconfidence.

It looks like about $500 in parts, $100 in machine shop time, and then... not sure.

All input/help/suggestions welcome!

Cheers!

Kev
Re: My first build
April 24, 2018 04:06AM
Should I copy my remark here?
You should add a link in the general forum to this thread. Otherwise the discussion will be clustered and hard to follow later.
April 24, 2018 08:15AM
Done! Thank you.

Kev
April 24, 2018 08:16AM
Everyone please note - I mis-typed the name of the multicolor hot end - it's an E3D Diamond.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks.

Kev
April 24, 2018 10:40AM
hi
all the best with your first build, but E3D dont produce the diamond HE its made by RepRap Me
like your choice of boards with the rumba you seen the one made by makerbase like the fact its got the header for there touch screens.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 10:45AM by jinx.
April 24, 2018 02:24PM
Followed from your other thread.

FolgerTech has better prices.

I think linear rails are way overkill. Go watch Tech2C corexy build on youtube. 10-12mm rods are perfectly fine for positioning molten plastic threads.
I'd use the carbon fiber tubes like he did.

But I am a RepRap minimalist anyways, see SmartRap Mini 2, the scary printer.

Dunno rumba, Duet can run all that stuff from what I read.

What exactly are you going to be making WITH this machine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 02:25PM by orbitalair.
April 24, 2018 02:47PM
kattz
Controls? I haven't a clue yet. I'm good with robotics and PLC programming, but C and other coding frustrates me. I will use a Rumba board because it seems to have everything I'll need, want WiFi, Ethernet, and a small HMI or touchscreen.

Rumba supports 6 stepper drivers (enough for a 3-input Diamond hot end), but does not have WiFi or Ethernet. Any WiFi or Ethernet add-on you get for it may give you a basic control interface over the network, but not fast file upload to the SD card. I'm biased (see my signature) but if you want WiFi or Ethernet as your main interface, get a Duet WiFi or a Duet Ethernet. The (just announced) Duet Maestro doesn't handle the 8 independent stepper motors that you need for a machine with a 5-input Diamond hot end.

The machine you are aiming to build sounds a lot like this one [somei3deas.wordpress.com]. The guy who built it has loads of experience and understands the 5-input Diamond better than anyone else I know.

HTH David

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2018 02:47PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 24, 2018 08:19PM
jinx
hi
all the best with your first build, but E3D dont produce the diamond HE its made by RepRap Me
like your choice of boards with the rumba you seen the one made by makerbase like the fact its got the header for there touch screens.

You're absolutely right! Thanks for the correction!

Kev
April 24, 2018 08:21PM
orbitalair
Followed from your other thread.

FolgerTech has better prices.

I think linear rails are way overkill. Go watch Tech2C corexy build on youtube. 10-12mm rods are perfectly fine for positioning molten plastic threads.
I'd use the carbon fiber tubes like he did.

But I am a RepRap minimalist anyways, see SmartRap Mini 2, the scary printer.

Dunno rumba, Duet can run all that stuff from what I read.

What exactly are you going to be making WITH this machine?

I received a response back from Folgertech.

I'll take a look at the Tech2C, thanks!

One of the first things scheduled off the printer is a full-size Boeing 737NG throttle quadrant with lighting. Need a 400 X 400 X 400mm workspace for that one.

Thanks.

Kev
April 24, 2018 08:24PM
dc42
kattz

Rumba supports 6 stepper drivers (enough for a 3-input Diamond hot end), but does not have WiFi or Ethernet. Any WiFi or Ethernet add-on you get for it may give you a basic control interface over the network, but not fast file upload to the SD card. I'm biased (see my signature) but if you want WiFi or Ethernet as your main interface, get a Duet WiFi or a Duet Ethernet. The (just announced) Duet Maestro doesn't handle the 8 independent stepper motors that you need for a machine with a 5-input Diamond hot end.

The machine you are aiming to build sounds a lot like this one [somei3deas.wordpress.com]. The guy who built it has loads of experience and understands the 5-input Diamond better than anyone else I know.

HTH David

Thanks, David. I might just go with a Cyclops 2-color head. Might be easier... BUT, I have to actually make a working printer first. I'll check out the links you sent.

Regards,

Kev
April 24, 2018 09:28PM
Question - Ballscrew or leadscrew? Ballscrew would require a lot less torque for the Z-axis lift.
April 24, 2018 11:57PM
Ballscrews are more expensive and might cause the bed to drop when the stepper motors don't have power. I don't think torque will be an issue for you, and the lower backlash of a ballscrew isn't relevant for a Z axis. I would personally go for a leadscrew and save money. That being said, money may not be a big concern for you, I just can't think of any advantage ballscrews would give you in this application.
April 25, 2018 02:15AM
kattz
Need a 400 X 400 X 400mm workspace for that one.
you come across the Vulcanus Max 40 yet.
April 25, 2018 07:39AM
kattz
Question - Ballscrew or leadscrew? Ballscrew would require a lot less torque for the Z-axis lift.

Option 3: beltz!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
April 27, 2018 01:26AM
So, I've discarded the linear guides in favor of round linear bearing and rods. Started on design and CAD. Checked out the Vulcanus Max 40. Thanks for that tip.

Next question - separate X and Y motors or CoreXY? Is there any advantage to using one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

Kev
April 27, 2018 04:15AM
CoreXY has the advantage that both X and Y motors are stationary, whereas in normal Cartesian printers, the X motor will move along the Y or Z axis.
So you will have less weight on the gantry. Also in CoreXY mode, both motors will contribute to a X or Y move (except for 45° moves)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2018 04:17AM by whosrdaddy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login