Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

extruder motor location - whats verdict?

Posted by imrj 
extruder motor location - whats verdict?
October 11, 2018 04:32PM
I have heard good and bad things about mounting the extruder motor (ie direct drive) vs mounting it separately...the most notable one I guess is with direct drive the X motor has to carry the weight of the extruder motor.....but whats the final on this? is one better than the other or doesnt really make dfiff?
Re: extruder motor location - whats verdict?
October 12, 2018 01:02AM
A well made flying extruder is probably 'best of both worlds'
A short Bowden tube won't cause oozing and the weight of the extrudermotor is supported by the gimbal.
You only risk resonance between gimbal and hotend/effector at certain speeds, but you can avoid it with propper slicer settings.
( The effect shows up mainly during infill, so it might be not critical )
October 12, 2018 12:22PM
o_lampe
A well made flying extruder is probably 'best of both worlds'
A short Bowden tube won't cause oozing and the weight of the extrudermotor is supported by the gimbal.
You only risk resonance between gimbal and hotend/effector at certain speeds, but you can avoid it with propper slicer settings.
( The effect shows up mainly during infill, so it might be not critical )

I've not seen a flying extruder on a Core-XY printer before. Do you have any links to examples?
October 12, 2018 12:27PM
@imrj

There are pros/cons to both direct drive and bowden drive extruders (with the proper setup both configurations can yield good results). I tend to lean more towards remotely driven or bowden setups. I'm getting ready to prototype my own remote-direct drive extruder concept using a flexible drive shaft.

Some solutions you could look into:
Flex3Drive
Zesty Nimble
E3D Titan Aero

Or I recently found this interesting solution here:
[www.youtube.com]

Also this simple DIY:
[www.youtube.com]
^Note however, that this particular solution probably doesn't have enough of a gear ratio to compensate for torsional deflection of the titanium wire which would negatively affect print results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 12:40PM by obelisk79.
October 12, 2018 04:11PM
Here's another solution, to get the benefits of a flying extruder on a CoreXY: [somei3deas.wordpress.com]. But it's not cheap.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 12, 2018 05:08PM
I like that concept dc42
October 13, 2018 01:45AM
I made a swinging extruder for a Delta with a Diamond hotend. I implemented a single extruder version of this design in a CoreXY too.
Here's a video
October 13, 2018 06:45AM
Don't forget the gimballed Flystruder solution from Zatsit, dedicated to a Titan extrudeur.
Gimballed Flystruder
This is available as an accessory, as part of the ongoing KickStarter campaign
Zatsit on Kickstarter
I would be curious to see this accessory adapted for contexts other than a delta printer: indeed, the reception device consists of two holes, and two spherical magnets. It is very easy to adapt.
October 13, 2018 10:44AM
Hmmm.... I suppose a gimbaled or flying extruder could be adapted. I'm not sure I would prefer that very over a remote direct-drive though. But the existing remote direct drive set ups are more expensive options and may not be viable options for many.

Being a glutton for self punishment I'm trying to design my own cost effective remote drive solution. These rarely end up actually being cost effective for me compared to existing solutions but I learn a lot more in the process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login