Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Joel Telling's review of the RailCore II 300ZL open source CoreXY kit

Posted by dc42 
Joel Telling's review of the RailCore II 300ZL open source CoreXY kit
December 23, 2018 12:47PM
For anyone interested, it's at [www.youtube.com]. He didn't build the kit, he was given it pre-assembled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2018 12:49PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Joel Telling's review of the RailCore II 300ZL open source CoreXY kit
December 24, 2018 12:40AM
At least somebody else supports now 3 Z motors.
December 24, 2018 01:17AM
WOW, .02mm layer height
First I was like, 0.2 (zero point two) big deal (sarcasm), then it hit me, POINT zero two. BAM!
75mm/sec print speed is respectable.

Nice plug for the Duet.

The e4d tool changer would be a prefect upgrade for this kit.
Very nice for the price.
December 24, 2018 06:50AM
That looks pretty good for $1500.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 24, 2018 10:29AM
dc42
For anyone interested, it's at [www.youtube.com]. He didn't build the kit, he was given it pre-assembled.

DID they implement bed leveling with these THREE Z motors plus leadscrews ?
Note that somewhere else, an earlier version they use two with ONE motor. ? Reason for the change ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2018 10:39AM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
December 24, 2018 12:10PM
MKSA
DID they implement bed leveling with these THREE Z motors plus leadscrews ?
Note that somewhere else, an earlier version they use two with ONE motor. ? Reason for the change ?

Yes I understand that they do use the 3 motors for bed levelling. You'll need to ask the designers why they felt that the change was worthwhile, perhaps at [forum.railcore.org]. I see it as a trade off between mechanical complexity (extra pulleys, belt, belt tensioner and levelling screws) vs. electrical complexity (extra motors, cables, DueX expansion board).

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 26, 2018 12:06AM
I love this setup with 3 motors 3 guides. I have designing a printer almost identical to this but was having issues with z config. Its going to be big 400x400, and heavy though aluminum, heated, magnetic bed, so i need allot of power on the z axis in order to b smooth. now my issue is trying to find the right drivers for a smoothieboard 5x. i dont think i can use the tmc drivers can i? or should i just throw $100 bucks on a smoothie 3x and b done? The RailCore is simple, strong, motors are out of build area, belt plane shift, aluminum mounts, duet 32bit controller, ready for tool changer, e3d or bondtech extruder. This thing has something to say for $1500 bucks. I dont like the 8mm leadscrews on compression. Im going to use 12mm hanging. I dont like the mgn12 holding the whole extruder assembly on its own, i will use 16mm carbone fibre tubes to keep it light. I like the design allot but it has some easily remedied issues for the $ i give it an 8/10
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login