Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corexy enclosement, top cover?

Posted by kapperi 
Corexy enclosement, top cover?
December 29, 2018 03:59AM
I'm closing my corexy printer and I was thinking about alternative things to do it.

Earlier I was going to make my printer with hiwin guides and enclosing that kind of printers is easy. But I got distracted by life and built v-slot printer instead. Problem is that wheels and carriages makes enclosing the top very difficult(in lookwise)

My printer looks exactly like tronxy x5s.

Do the forum members have any ideas how to enclose this kind of thing.

I was thinking these moving shieldthings, which are connected to hotend and moves with it.
Re: Corexy enclosement, top cover?
December 29, 2018 12:40PM
Those v-slot motion systems kind of limit options for a nice looking enclosure. You could make a bunch of standoffs that bolt to the frame and hold side panels, but if you're enclosing the machine you probably want some thermal insulation. The easiest/cheapest thing to do is find a cardboard box that fits over the whole printer. Next in order of low cost and greatly improved thermal performance is to build a box using insulating foam and duct tape, a 15 minute job that will cost about $15 or so. All you will need for tools is a straight edge, a marker, and a razor knife. PIR foam is better than polystyrene because it doesn't burn and produce a lot of toxic fumes/smoke. It won't be pretty but it will be cheap, quick, easy, and will definitely do the job.

It's best to move the electronics out of the box if you plan on letting it get toasty warm inside.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 29, 2018 01:23PM
Nice to know that you can allways count on DD to answer something to questions...

That could be quickfix but Im thinking of more pernament built.

At this point I was thinking about building outershell from 2020 profile to hold panels but I have no time to start designing such a thing and I was wondering at what it would look like.

Enclosure is for printing warping materials and for filter some gasses thru filters. Before that I have to source better heatbed to achieve 100 degrees...
December 29, 2018 07:59PM
Not always, usually just things I have some experience with.

I built this enclosure using printed brackets to hold the foam panels for my first printer:

It would be a lot quicker and easier to just hold it together with duct tape.

January 05, 2019 10:46AM
That is great enclosure for one time use but I think that waf is not that great...

I have decided to buy some profile and make a some sort of outer structure which can be closed and heated.

Just installed solidworks so no need to use that crappy fusion anymore, have to start designing new pieces to that.

Solidworks is free for year for the hobbyist or makers, fyi.
January 05, 2019 11:06AM
If you think the WAF of the enclosure sucks, wait until she gets a whiff of ABS fumes...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2019 11:07AM by the_digital_dentist.

January 05, 2019 01:15PM
Hahhah, yeah waiting for that....

Mostly nylon is what I want to try, do that smell badly?
January 06, 2019 09:48AM
I haven't printed nylon, so I don't know about its smell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2019 09:48AM by the_digital_dentist.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login