Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moving Gantry CoreXY Printer

Posted by gmedlicott 
Moving Gantry CoreXY Printer
February 18, 2019 06:40PM
Inspired by the Voron II (and Railcore II), I've designed a moving gantry CoreXY 3D printer. I'm using my own custom carriages that ride on the 2020 extrusions.

The gantry is supported by three vertical rails, with adjustment to keep the gantry in plane on two of the three rails. Initially it will be powered by one Z motor for simplicity. The end goal is a Railcore II type three Z motor auto bed (or gantry in this case) leveling.

The reasoning for a moving gantry vs. bed is this is intended to be scalable to larger units (i.e. 1 meter plus X or Y), where the bed starts to get heavy.

More detail can be found here:
www.exoslide.com/blog/moving-gantry-3D-printer-design

I'll post the CAD files and DXF file for the sheet-metal to the above site once I build one to see if it works!

Re: Moving Gantry CoreXY Printer
February 19, 2019 07:51AM
A flexible gantry adjusted by three leadscrews is indeed quit new.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
February 20, 2019 01:23AM
February 20, 2019 03:16AM
patnap71
Check these out...

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

Even more screwed. Who will dare a 5 leadscrews ? smiling smiley

February 20, 2019 06:40AM
patnap71
Check these out...

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

IMHO, the first link also has the belts wrongly set, belts that should be paralel to movement are not...
February 20, 2019 09:37AM
patnap71
Check these out...

[openbuilds.com]

Hey, thanks! I've added this one to my collection of bad corexy builds.

I am amazed at how many people put so much effort and $ into making otherwise solid printers without understanding how the corexy mechanism works. One would think that people would wonder why, after building one of these abominations, the belt tensions change every time they move the extruder carriage. You'd think that would set off some alarms, but I guess not because they keep posting bad designs on the web.

Son of MegaMax 3D printer: [www.instructables.com]
Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
February 20, 2019 11:45AM
Why ?
Because they enjoy learning from their mistakes and want to keep learning and learning and learning .... smiling smiley
And they like to share !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 11:46AM by MKSA.

February 20, 2019 12:34PM
patnap71
Check these out...

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

[openbuilds.com]

Thanks for the links. All three use four Z screws to control the gantry, similar to the Voron II. On mine, the one mid-placed Z screw I use is possible because the carriage and bracket arrangement is quite stiff. But since I can't guarantee the perpendicular gantry extrusion carrying the XY motors is 100% parallel to the bed, the opposing two Z screws have adjustment on them (dovetail adjusters) to keep the gantry in plane. The bed also has one of the three mounts adjustable to keep it parallel to gantry.

The Z-adjustments and the Z belt arrangement for the single Z motor may be as difficult to get working right as three Z motors with Duet control (e.g. Railcore II). I'll build the former first, then have a go a the Duet option.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2019 12:37PM by gmedlicott.
February 20, 2019 06:37PM
EcoSlide?

What is it?
Where?
Cost?

confused smiley
February 20, 2019 08:13PM
cozmicray
EcoSlide?

What is it?
Where?
Cost?

ExoSlide, not EcoSlide (Exo like outer skeleton). Hopefully I don't have a typo somewhere!

They are modular linear slides for aluminum extrusions.

Stay tuned, I'll have product details available shortly (though not in this thread, I'll keep it CoreXY related)
February 21, 2019 01:42AM
Are you certain that your gantry will be rigid enough to need only 3 leadscrews to support it and not 4?

The Duet can level 4 leadscrews (assuming there is a little flexibility in the gantry) as well as 3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2019 01:42AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
February 21, 2019 02:17AM
Indeed, flexibility, you need it. Anyway ....

What makes the ExoSlide different from regular wheel carriages ? The fact they are modular and can be assembled ? How do you adjust the "play", by the two long screws one can see ?

February 21, 2019 03:55PM
dc42
Are you certain that your gantry will be rigid enough to need only 3 leadscrews to support it and not 4?

The Duet can level 4 leadscrews (assuming there is a little flexibility in the gantry) as well as 3.

It was sufficiently stiff (for reasonable spans) in the testing of a carriage with a cross bar.

Stiffness of the mounting scheme is one of the advantages of the slides coupled with the brackets.

If the X (or Y) span is too long, I might go with 4 Z supports.

Modular Linear Slides for Aluminum Extrusions [www.exoslide.com]
February 21, 2019 04:02PM
MKSA
What makes the ExoSlide different from regular wheel carriages ? The fact they are modular and can be assembled ? How do you adjust the "play", by the two long screws one can see ?

Many differences; a proper release is coming very soon!

Lots can already be teased out from the main page photo and the last blog post. Preload adjustment is by the small m3 screws nested near each other (in the assembly).

Modular Linear Slides for Aluminum Extrusions [www.exoslide.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login