Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flsun cube vs TronXY x5s

Posted by Vinos88 
Flsun cube vs TronXY x5s
March 24, 2019 07:57PM
Hello guys/girls,

First of all let me introduce myself as I am new to this forum:
My name is Arjan and live in The Netherlands.
I own 1 printer at the moment and that is an Anycubic I3 Mega ultrabase version.

And I'm looking for a second printer.
I have been printing for about a year now and did some small modifications to the I3 like firmware tmc drivers and other cooling fans and ducts.
For my second printer I'm looking for a core-xy printer that's not too expensive, so as the title suggests what do you guys think is the best or at least the lesser bad printer for me to buy?
I'm looking at the flsun cube dual extruder version or the tronxy x5s 2e.
Why would you recommend one over the other?
Different printers (as long as it's a core-xy and around the same price ranges) are welcome to.
My plan for the core printer is to have interchangeable tools, so it parks one extruder and picks the other one up to continue printing with a different colour or material.

Thanks for your input!

Best regards,
Arjan
Re: Flsun cube vs TronXY x5s
March 24, 2019 11:23PM
Suggest you consider the E3D toolchanger and sign up for the beta package.
Straight up coreXY with DUET. Can't ask for better collaboration.
Kinda pricey, but mitigates some of the risk.
March 25, 2019 12:15AM
Thank you for your response but that price is exactly what I'm not willing to pay for a printer.
I'm looking for a printer to tinker with but will give decent prints out of the box or with minor upgrades.
Option could be to buy and tweak a cheaper core-xy and add the e3d tool changer later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2019 12:19AM by Vinos88.
March 26, 2019 07:33AM
After building my own CoreXY, I think there is no intersection among low price (under USD 500), frame rigidity and minor upgrade.
If you are planning tool changer or dual extrusion, that's a different level of complexity, not just an one-click thing.
Either you buy others' time, or you spend your time.
I suggest lower your expectation or "at least" double your budget.

SecKit, all-metal linear rail CoreXY kit
[seckit3dp.design]
March 26, 2019 07:55AM
Thank you for your response!
I don't expect it to be a perfect printer for that kind of money and the tool changing is something on my bucket list and not something I would dive into straight away.
The i3 mega was a really cheap printer and it prints really good in my opinion.
I don't know if that is because my standard is low or the printer is just a good printer hahaha
Again thanks for your input!
Been thinking about building a core-xy printer from scratch but I really have no idea what parts I exactly need to build a decent one so that's why I was looking for a cheaper kit to educate myself.
March 26, 2019 10:56AM
My experience is, I bought a USD300 CoreXY kit and fell into the endless loop of adjusting machine --> designing better parts --> sourcing better parts --> adjusting..., which cost me even more time and money.
If you're going to learn about CoreXY mechanism and solving problems, just buy a cheap machine and you will know better what you want. smiling smiley

SecKit, all-metal linear rail CoreXY kit
[seckit3dp.design]
March 26, 2019 12:15PM
Vinos88
Been thinking about building a core-xy printer from scratch but I really have no idea what parts I exactly need to build a decent one so that's why I was looking for a cheaper kit to educate myself.

Pay attention: I'm about to save you $300... They don't make $300 kits from good parts. They make $300 kits from cheap parts. Cheap parts either don't work well from the start or don't last. Every time one breaks, your printer will be down until you get a replacement. You'll spend more time tweaking, repairing, and upgrading than you will printing. The parts that come in a cheap kit are exactly the parts you don't want to use.

Good parts include either Smoothieboard or Duet controller, MeanWell power supply, preferably 24V, BMG extruder and E3D v6 hot end, 400 steps/rev motors for X and Y, line powered heater for 300x300 and up, DC powered heater is OK for smaller sizes, linear guides for all axes, cast aluminum tooling plate for the bed of any size, PEI print surface. If you want to print ABS, plan for enclosure and put electronics and motors outside the enclosure. Avoid plastic parts whenever possible.

Yes, any three of those good parts will probably cost as much as that cheap kit. You did say you wanted a "decent" printer...

You might get some ideas for your build from my coreXY machine.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 26, 2019 12:37PM
Thanks again for all the replies!
That's kind of a bummer but thank you for the advice.
March 26, 2019 01:42PM
Just look in this forum, all the great projects with CHEAP in the description. None of them completed.

Note, it could be made but you would need access to expensive machinery, know how to use them and get quality parts (excess inventory, preventive maintenance, second hand etc...) for a few bucks or beers.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2019 01:53PM by MKSA.

"A comical prototype doesn't mean a dumb idea is possible" (Thunderf00t)
July 04, 2019 07:17AM
Hello everybody,

I wanted to come back to this forum to tell you guys I've been stubborn and bought the flsun cube.
I don't regret getting the printer at all!
I've been playing around with it for a couple of months and sure things could be better but 80% is done by printable upgrades.
Also customer service is a breeze, they try to solve your problems the best they can.
For people who want to build their own printer but also want to learn about the process and don't want to spend a ton of money.
I really recommend this product
July 04, 2019 06:10PM
Thanks for checking back and updating your post Arjan! Nice to hear you're happy with it smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login