Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Repsis: A 3D printer with a heated chamber i made

Posted by lucassiglo21 
Repsis: A 3D printer with a heated chamber i made
May 01, 2019 12:56PM
hi, this is a 3d printer i've been working on for the last 2 months, it's a fully enclosed printer with heated chamber. it heats up the air with a 500w heater, and it has four big blowers on the sides to move the air around..it's excellent with abs and so on..the blowers are also excellent for pla, turning off the heater. the firmware is the latest marlin bugfix, which now supports a heated chamber. i added the chamber to the lcd info screen which wasn't implemented.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3600505

Re: Repsis: A 3D printer with a heated chamber i made
May 02, 2019 07:02PM
Nice. I especially like the electronics compartment.
May 03, 2019 02:03AM
Nice! - how does the printed parts hold up inside the heated chamber?
May 03, 2019 11:00AM
It looks like a really solid, well planned build.
Don't those multiple blowers ruin ABS prints, or is the chamber so hot it doesn't cause a problem? How hot does the chamber get when you're printing?
Will the blower motors' built-in drivers tolerate the heat in the chamber?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2019 11:03AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
May 09, 2019 06:55PM
the_digital_dentist
Don't those multiple blowers ruin ABS prints, or is the chamber so hot it doesn't cause a problem? How hot does the chamber get when you're printing?

If you can get the blown air so hot that it is between the HDT and the Tg, then that is the ideal scenario because it prints the fresh layers, cools them down quickly to the Tg but not so low that it starts to solidify completely and warp.
I use the same concept with a 2500w heating element and a huge fan to "cool" PPSU prints to 212°C. No warping whatsoever.
The concept is not really new, every stratasys machine uses it.

The reason PLA works so well with blowing cold air over it is that room temperature air is close enough to PLA`s Tg that it does not cause warping.
May 12, 2019 04:29PM
NitroFreak
the_digital_dentist

If you can get the blown air so hot that it is between the HDT and the Tg, then that is the ideal scenario because it prints the fresh layers, cools them down quickly to the Tg but not so low that it starts to solidify completely and warp.
I use the same concept with a 2500w heating element and a huge fan to "cool" PPSU prints to 212°C. No warping whatsoever.
The concept is not really new, every stratasys machine uses it.

The reason PLA works so well with blowing cold air over it is that room temperature air is close enough to PLA`s Tg that it does not cause warping.

that's exactly the case..i use 65C for ABS and works wonderfully. Nylons at 70C.
i'm struggling woth POM though

Because the plastic parts are made of ABS i dont want to go over 85C on the chamber.
May 12, 2019 04:31PM
martin1454
Nice! - how does the printed parts hold up inside the heated chamber?
this machine can destroy itself if you go crazy with the chamber..if yo keep it below eightysomething, it's ok. good enough for abs, nylons, abs/pc, pc..not peek or ppsu..
October 14, 2019 04:43PM
1. abs need 70-78 oC, but for best 84oC, see Makerbot Method.
2. Temp over bed with gradient, In fan, where thermocouple, 65oC, but begin bed 60oC, on center bed about 55oC. Take thermocpuple and mesure it. Right position of thermocouple out from fan.

ps. see this my version for testing: My version

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2019 04:51PM by sendel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login