Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Intermittant diagonal layer shift, how to diagnose?

Posted by dlc60 
Re: Intermittant diagonal layer shift, how to diagnose?
September 18, 2020 12:32AM
the_digital_dentist

DLC60, if it's printing square you're done. The X and Y axes are square. The error may be in the frame which doesn't really matter.

Yeah, that is what it looks like. I guess that I can live with just printing slowly if parts are "perfect". Now, if I can just figure out why I get the jams at high speeds then I'd be in printer heaven! sad smiley

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
September 21, 2020 12:04PM
After talking with the Exoslide guy and changing my hot end mount to give me space for a fourth slider on the hot end mount. I think that I have solved the problem.
My issue always occurred during a high speed transition in the X axis, which caused me to focus there. BUT I forgot that in a CoreXY machine, every transition affects every axis, X and Y are linked and must cooperate, so, even though the motion is in X, the hot end carriage is at the center of that motion.
When I dropped the hot end mount 10mm to give me space for a fourth slider, my binding issue got MUCH worse.I had the hot end mounted on a "side" slider instead of the "middle" one of three sliders, using three sliders that could not be helped since the belts attached to each side and other parts attached to the top "middle" one. This 10mm drop made the hot end carrier more unstable and I watched it flex, until it rolled over enough to bind.

Exoslide recommends that you mount the hot end on the middle of a three-sided slider or use four sliders.
I moved sliders around. Instead of three on each motion piece, I made one gantry slider a three, the other a two and made the hot end slider four. This required me to re-orient the "two slider" mount such that I could use the exact same mount as I use on the other end. This symmetry is good for a number of reasons and even though their orientation made the gantry mounts look asymmetric, it simplifies the design.

This three-two-four layout stopped binding (so far) and prints have even less ringing apparent. Everything seems to be much more stable. I will increase my speeds and see what happens, but it looks like this final change may have fixed my CoreXY problem.

More as I learn more,
DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Re: Intermittant diagonal layer shift, how to diagnose? SOLVED!
November 20, 2023 10:08PM
After fussing with this for years, finally found the problem. And it was a forehead slapper.
In short, One belt attached to the end-effector element was not parallel to the travel. The rise from the stepper to the pulley on that "turns the corner" to the other axis travel was 3mm at it's worst location. This caused the belt to climb over the rim of the pulley (which was not very high) and would cause the belt to skip or skew far enough to jam the stepper travel. When one stepper moves and the other stays still, on a CoreXY, you get diagonal travel. This is why that happened.
So, make sure your belts are tensioned enough to avoid a belt skip, and make really sure that your belt is parallel to the axis travel. It doesn't take much to totally jank your hardware.

Wow, that took a while, but I'm stubborn. And I should have known better, but I could have sworn that I carefully measured and adjust for that, but obviously, something changed when I wasn't looking (?).

be well,
DLC

November 21, 2023 06:45PM
Good find!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login