Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder for heated chamber?

Posted by Ryan_M 
Extruder for heated chamber?
November 30, 2020 01:17PM
I'm working on a printer to print ABS. I am planning for a heated chamber and from what I've read I need ~50-60°C. Quality is more important than speed so I don't mind toting an exrtruder around on the X carriage but I'm concerned heat build-up in the stepper would be a problem. Currently on my existing printer I use a belt reduction NEMA 14 and it works great and only gets warm to the touch, however, I'm not sure how it would cope being in an evironment that is much warmer. Bowden is an option but I will likely go with a 300mm x 300mm print bed so the bowden tube is going to get pretty long which would make print quality suffer.

Any ideas?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 01:19PM by Ryan_M.
Re: Extruder for heated chamber?
November 30, 2020 02:20PM
I use a direct drive extruder in a 50C chamber. The motor temperature only gets a few degrees above ambient when it runs, so 50C is fine (motors are OK in 60-80C depending on manufacturer). I also use the chamber air to cool the hot-end. It works fine, no filament jams, and no need to resort to liquid cooling or piping in cool room air.

If you use a small motor, you probably have to run the current relatively high to ensure adequate torque. That means more heat. A bigger motor may provide the same torque at lower current, with less temperature rise.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 05, 2020 10:44AM
LDO has some high temp options out there:

[hightemp3d.com]
[www.printedsolid.com]
[fermio.xyz]
January 19, 2021 06:13PM
Heated chambers seem like a recipe for disaster when it comes to cooling solutions. Water cooling is one good option, E3D has a watercooled Titan here, which would probably also cool your extruder motor: if it doesn't, here is a company which makes watercooling blocks specifically for 3d printing. If that's too expensive (and it's rather expensive), then you can try this, which is a high temperature stepper motor (there's a smaller one as well). Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login