Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoreXY Z axis design questions.

Posted by Mick_McMik 
CoreXY Z axis design questions.
December 07, 2020 01:19PM
Hey there,

I'm designing a cost friendly-ish CoreXY printer using parts I have laying around and mostly off the shelf components, while still maintaining the benefits of more mainstream CoreXY printers. I was wondering if using v slot rollers in 2020 extrusion for the stabilizers instead of linear rods and bushings like most other printers. The only downside that I can see is more wear over time but considering how printers like the ender 3 can get away with using V slot wheels on 2020 extrusion for both x and y axes, which move much more than the z axis, wear wouldn't be a problem. From what I can find, v slot rollers are much cheaper than linear rods and the frame is already made out of the 2020 extrusion in question, so there is another cost saving. Additionally would using a belt driven z axis instead of using leadscrews or ball screws compromise on frame rigidity/print quality if properly implemented and braced?

Thanks

This is my 3d printer. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My printer is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my printer is useless. Without my printer, I am useless. I must level my bed true. I must calibrate better than my enemy who is trying to make my prints fail. I must melt the filament before the filament melts me. I will...
Re: CoreXY Z axis design questions.
December 07, 2020 03:03PM
Belt lifting the z axis works fine, but you might need to consider some means of preventing the bed from dropping when the Z motor power is cut off, depending on length of the Z axis and weight of the bed assembly. Someone at the makerspace built a belt lifted Z axis using one of these motors and it works great.

20mm square t-slot is pretty flimsy stuff. How big are you planning to build this machine?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 07, 2020 06:26PM
Seckit go2 (a highly praised printer by many reviewers) uses planetary gears.

[sites.google.com]

what do you think about this solution. I know that it might not prevent heavy bed from falling, but do you think that this kind of gears are good enough to move bed without causing banding. Can backslash be a problem or is gravity going to take care of that?
December 07, 2020 06:32PM
Im planning on building the bed size to be 300x300x300mm so not huge in terms of what the corexy system can handle but pretty big compared to more standard printers. The total length of the v slot used would probably be around 35~40cm. Going to 2040 or 4040 is still an option but i would probably just get linear rails at that point.
January 21, 2021 11:00AM
Yeah, I recommend always having a ruler on hand so that you can look at dimensions. 20 mm is pretty thin. I'd reccomend 20-4040 for the z axis and 20-2040 for the crosssuports, with 2040 supports in the middle of where you will be mounting your x-axis.

Also... sorry to be that guy, but I found this yesterday and it's a goldmine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login