Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A new design - CoreXrY

Posted by eadz 
A new design - CoreXrY
December 11, 2022 03:53AM
Hi,

I think I've come up with a new take on CoreXY. I call it CoreXrY for the rotational movement between the X and the Y belts.

I have details up here - [eaden.net] ( more to come )

But briefly, it uses 2 parallel closed belts for the A and B motors. This means less overall belt length. I have a working model.

Interested in peoples thoughts about the pros/cons.
Re: A new design - CoreXrY
December 11, 2022 10:38AM
Interesting. It doesn't look like the overall belt length is any shorter (might actually be a little longer), but you have 3 shorter belts instead of 2 long belts.

It might be a good way to build a large corexy printer.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 11, 2022 02:51PM
In a CoreXY, the belt length is approx. 8X where X is the printer width/height size, and the CoreXrY is approximately 6X

December 11, 2022 02:58PM
Working prototype [www.youtube.com]
December 12, 2022 04:42AM
Interesting. How does it compare to the so called 'AWD' printers (4 motors, each on every corner) like the VzBot 330 AWD? Beltlength with these is the same, but 'virtual beltlength' (i.e. distance from motor driven pulley) decreases.

I guess this AWD design should also be possible with your XrY design?
December 14, 2022 03:53PM
You could certainly replace the end pulley with another motor.

The VZ bot cad file linked doesn’t seem to have the belts, so a little hard to tell.
December 15, 2022 10:33AM
What is the point of adding extra motors, unless you want to use motors that are insufficient to move the mechanism by themselves? And why would you want to do that?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 22, 2022 03:59PM
If I'm understanding this correctly, doesn't it suffer from the same racking issues as an h-bot design?
December 25, 2022 12:10AM
the_digital_dentist
What is the point of adding extra motors, unless you want to use motors that are insufficient to move the mechanism by themselves? And why would you want to do that?

1. Because the "virtual" beltlength decreases. Less belt-stretch and thus less ringing. You can make the printer larger without getting too much ringing.

2. Higher acceleration. From what I've read, just going with a longer or larger diameter motor doesn't achieve this. If you want very high acceleration (50k plus) you need two of those LDO Speedys (48mm length, NEMA17 diameter).
May 12, 2023 09:11AM
Hi

I got really excited when I saw this. I really liked the creativity.

I took a closer look at it. I'm fairly certain its actually a H-bot not a core-xy. Its got the same belt length, same twisting moment and if you look at it very much the same belt pattern. I can't actually see any advantages of this design over a regular H-bot other than it looks really rather cool at the cost of a bunch of extra pulleys.

Always cool to see something new though.
July 16, 2023 06:19AM
Really cool! Any updates?
Some other benefits I can see, are easier belt adjustment and replacement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login