Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Titan Aero E3D V6 mount and duct for Core XY

Posted by NovaHuta 
Titan Aero E3D V6 mount and duct for Core XY
December 13, 2022 10:19AM
I just refuse to let this head die, it has served me so well.

Here is a new head for Core XY printers. It uses axial fans for cooling.

Printables - Titan Aero E3DV6

Re: Titan Aero E3D V6 mount and duct for Core XY
December 13, 2022 04:47PM
Axial fans with ducts for print cooling? Does it work?

You really should try a radial fan. They tend to work better with ducts.

In this blog post there are a couple videos of a simple duct mounted on an axial fan: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com] The duct causes pressure build up behind the fan and the result is very little air flow out of the duct (at the intended place, anyway).

I have an old CubeX printer that used axial fans for print cooling. It worked well because they didn't use any ducts- just open fans and an insulated heater block in the extruder.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 15, 2022 07:55AM
Yes, the key to an axial fan working is not much back pressure. So, you'll see the openings are quite large, they are backed off from the part too.

To be honest, the one on the right works perfectly, no fan stalling, the one on the left stalls a bit but isn't bad. I'm thinking of trying a spacer just to move it back a bit from the mount plate. I think it stalls a bit at the top portion due to the angle it faces, just a little too sharp. Opening sizes are good though at both outlets. I'm judging if the fan is stalling by simply holding a finger close to the inlet, if it is stalling, you feel turbulence (and it is noisier), if it isn't stalling, you don't feel too much. At the outlet, they both have good airflow.

Radial fan does give more pressure, it also gives more noise.

I'm trying this because I'd like more volume of flow at lower pressure, not only for noise, but as the head moves around, the larger cross-section of air movement means that, as the head moves, the airflow will be on the plastic laid down longer. To prove the trade-off point between the two strategies, I'd have to dust off my finite differential analysis skills a bit but I suspect there is a balance point.

Empirically, with this setup, I can do the 85 degree slope test and I have very good surfaces up to just under 80 degrees using PLA at 185 deg hot end and 300mm/s max head speed.
December 15, 2022 10:35AM
Why not just mount the fans down where the duct ends and do away with the duct entirely?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 20, 2022 09:48AM
All about head room when having cooling on head. You'll see some pics on the Printables site of how tight it already is.

Other and next level cooling would be static cooling at the sides. (a.la. Havort 's builds are the first place I've seen that for super high speed printing).

For me, 300-600mm/s is fast enough. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login