Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Water tight printing

Posted by unicoder 
Water tight printing
October 16, 2011 03:12AM
What's the trick to printing something that is water tight?

Extra solid layers on the top and bottom? High infill?
I printed a shot glass with my default settings and, even though it looked good, I was surprised to find that it slowly leaked water (very slowly mind you, I didn't notice until the next day)
Re: Water tight printing
October 16, 2011 07:31PM
I would also love to hear advice from people who know how to do this!

I am getting "reasonable" prints now; still a lot of tweaking to do before I would say I am really happy, but my main gripe is that the bottom and top layers are nowhere near watertight. I have been printing some 20 mm calibration cubes - overall dimensions are close to spot-on, and everything I print now clearly resembles the object it is intended to be - yay! I have been tweaking my Skeinforge / Pronterface settings, but I suspect I have a fundamental error or incompatibility in my settings somewhere.

The bottoms of the blocks are "formed" correctly on the raft (3 layers of closely spaced parallel diagonal lines; alternate layers at 90 degrees to each other), but the filaments that are laid down are not quite dense enough to completely "fill" the space - it is as if the filaments are slightly too thin (moving the extruder too fast for the extrusion rate?), and / or slightly too far apart.

The main build process goes OK - perimeter shells formed, and core fill placed. The side face shells are not too bad (IMHO), and seem to be nice and dense. I need to do some work to get the core fill and the surface shells perfectly aligned, but all in all, not too bad.

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Calibration Cubes - Bottoms.jpg (95 KB)
open | download - Calibration Cubes - Tops.jpg (136 KB)
October 16, 2011 10:38PM
I have printed a 50mmx50mm box that is watertight, I made the bottom 5mm thick and the side walls 3mm thick. I use 3 solid layers on the top and bottom always, however since changing my hobbed insert I am getting slippage that I can't fix at the moment meaning even my solid layers are not solid like they used to be

October 17, 2011 10:18AM
I may have inadvertently found at least half the "fix" to my print quality issues:

Without tweaking any firmware or software settings, I have found one thing that seems to make a dramatic improvement to the quality of my prints is using genuine Scotch Blue Tape 2090 on my print bed.

If you check out my blog posting on the subject [julianh72.blogspot.com] , you can see that printing on Blue Tape gives me MUCH improved resolution overall: on the bottom face, the side faces, and the top face. I really wasn't expecting such a dramatic change to the whole print quality, just from having a better bond between the bottom printed layer and the print bed.

October 18, 2011 09:58AM
But the main cause of my printing problems turned out to be backlash - thanks to Triffid Hunter for pointing out the symptoms to me, and what to do about fixing it.

After tightening my belts, my print quality has improved dramatically: [julianh72.blogspot.com]

October 29, 2011 10:35PM
I've done a little experimentation and found a good formula that works for me.

0.35 infill
4 fully filled layers top and bottom
4/3/3 on the perimiter settings
No fan under any circumstances!

Please try it and let me know if it works for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login