Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resin coating

Posted by FrankenPC 
Resin coating
October 20, 2011 11:10PM
Hi, new to RepRap. My Prusa is still undergoing tuning. But, the bugs are slowly being worked out. Wow this is complicated...

ANYWHO...has anyone attempted to place their printed object in a vacuum chamber with an epoxy resin? I was wondering if impregnation with resin would be worthwhile. It would certainly make the object bulletproof. Many pieces could be placed in a vacuum chamber at once then drip dried. It would be like a hybrid between filament printing and mold fabrication.
Re: Resin coating
October 21, 2011 05:27AM
Have you looked at something like X-Seal (http://www.x-seal.co.uk/shop/acrylic-120c-cold-curing/) which looks to do about the same thing but does not require a vacuum.
October 21, 2011 07:13AM
If your printer and software are properly tuned, there won't be any holes for the epoxy to go in through. smiling smiley
October 21, 2011 09:53AM
That would be great! But after fussing for about a week with my first Prusa I can imagine the art of tuning would be a forever thing (things getting loose over time, parts failing). It would be nice to have a dimensional correct print that can be reinforced without the "art" part. I'm not much of an artist winking smiley
October 21, 2011 09:53AM
That looks really interesting. Thanks!
October 21, 2011 09:13PM
Plastic pipe glue works quite well for filling in gaps in prints. If the gaps are really small, a small amount of acetone with or without dissoved abs would also work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login