Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRapper Titles?

Posted by redskinsjbs 
RepRapper Titles?
April 30, 2008 09:24PM
Someone recently mentioned (Sorry if I don't remember who you are, just mention below if it was you) that they reached 'Guru' status as a member in the community. I now noticed that I as well am a 'Guru'. My question is how are these titles coined to specific people? Is it the number of posts? how active they are? left up to a developer's judgement? There is no real reason to my asking, just sort of out of curiosity.

Jay
Re: RepRapper Titles?
May 01, 2008 02:42AM
Number of posts moves you up the rankings I think

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
Ru
May 01, 2008 07:22AM
Yeah, just volume of text. Its a common bulletin board thing, cos its easy to script.

Some kind of peer review might be more suitable, but that would be a) hassle and b) cliquey, cos it has the potential to foster groupthink. See also, karma on other bboard systems.

I think we all know who are the 'real' gurus winking smiley
May 05, 2008 07:08PM
Yeah. Those who have built machines, or are running stores, or websites, or are doing chemistry and physics experiments.
May 05, 2008 07:18PM
I don't know about that built a machine thing. I built one and don't feel like a guru by a long shot. Most of the time I feel like a damn idiot cause I missed something stupid. ;-)

Demented
May 05, 2008 07:29PM
I second Demented's point. I may be on the forums a lot and have read everything, but how can a high schooler be a Guru amongst PhDs? I'd like the title of 'Honorary Guru" or maybe 'Semi-Guru', but not just Guru. That should be left to Adrian, Vik, Noph, Ian...

Jay
May 05, 2008 07:38PM
Hell, I'm a PhD and I don't have a bit of trouble with a high schooler being a "guru". Reprap, imo, should be about participation and enthusiasm, not academic qualifications.

If you look you will see that people like Adrian, Vik, Nop and myself, inter alia, are what is known as Core RepRap members which only means that we were at this for quite some time before it became obvious that Reprap was actually going to work to the rest of the world. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
May 05, 2008 09:00PM
Righto Forrest. I guess that all i meant was that I still feel like I should be a worker ant and nothing more. I guess that is just the high school mentality.

Jay
May 05, 2008 10:03PM
LOL! Get over it. You're important. For every guy like you trying to build a machine the success of the project becomes that more assured.

I've always thought of a Reprap machine as the means to an end, not the end itself. What a Reprap machine is is a $400 machine shop. How many guys your age can afford either the actuality or the use of a proper machine shop? I'm waiting to see to what ends the machines will be put. I figure young guys like you are going to be where the creativity comes from. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2008 10:06PM by Forrest Higgs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login