Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to all this 3D printing stuff

Posted by Phizinza 
New to all this 3D printing stuff
February 11, 2012 03:56AM
Hi, I've been reading much about these printers and looking on ebay at partly preassembled kits which include structural parts and extruders.
I'll start with just a couple of questions. Should I get the Prusa Mendel or an Original Mendel? If I am correct the Prusa doesn't use bearings to simplify and cheapen things? I'm a fan of bearings in moving parts so I don't mind getting them and installing them.

Is the Mendstruder or Wade Extruder a good part to start with?

I am also thinking of using Gen7/RAMPS electronics, is that a good place to start?

I'll leave it at that for now, thank you!
Re: New to all this 3D printing stuff
February 11, 2012 05:52AM
Prusa mendel is simpler to build and cheaper. You could always change to lm8uu bearings later or simply start with them (a lot of people are now selling the plastics for lm8uu parts).

Gregs is great extruder and is the only one ive used so i cant compare.

Yep those are 2 of the best electonic solutions out.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
February 11, 2012 03:49PM
I'm a fan of the Prusa. Easy to build and upgrade. My Prusa is upgraded to linear bearings, metal gears, and custom made Z axis motor couplers. The hard part is the extruder.
February 12, 2012 03:31AM
Ok, so with the linear bearing upgrade is there any downsides the Prusa has over the original or is it all better?

And I was looking at that Prusa Air, looks pretty neat. Anyone here using the Air frame here?

As for nozzle size, is it simply just the smaller it is the finer the detail and slower the printing? Would a 0.35mm nozzle be a good starting point for smoother finishes but not too difficult to setup as a 0.25mm nozzle?

Thank you for your replies!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login